Change font size
It is currently Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:12 pm

Forum rules

. please keep questions related to an OpenSimulator and OSgrid nature.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ]
 Post subject: Upgrade issues, regions not connecting, regions not starting
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:42 pm 
OSG Elite

First a disclaimer: This post is not intended to be any kind of support for any particular persons issue of their region not connecting/starting after the upgrade, but simply some advice for the less experienced Opensim region op that may help them to solve any connection/startup problems they are having after upgrading.

In the latest update there was a configuration change to grid.ini and gridhypergrid.ini. If you have kept your old config include files this is probably the cause of your region not connecting/starting.

When upgrading from one version to another it is VERY important that you use the configs that come with that release, not your old ones. Nebadon works very hard to ensure that the configs he releases with an update are all correct and working for that release, bot an older release, not a newer release, but just that particular release.

If you are experiencing problems then do the following:
- First, backup (make a copy) of your existing region(s) /bin folders. Put these somewhere safe on your computer. If all goes well you shouldn't need to touch this, but it is there just incase you inadvertantly delete a file.
- Download a fresh copy of the OSgrid binary
- Copy across your gridcommon.ini (in the config include folder - This has your database connection configured already from your previous install) from your old install to the config-include folder of the fresh binary you have just downloaded.
Copy across opensim.db from your old /bin to the fresh /bin you have downloaded. (this is not needed if you are running MySQL. If you don't know if you are running MySQL or not, you probably aren't)
Copy across your opensim.ini from your old /bin to the fresh /bin you have downloaded.
Copy across your 'Regions' folder from your old /bin to the fresh /bin you have downloaded.

Then try and start your region(s).

Many problems arise when old configs are used with a new update of an Opensim binary. Also, and just as important, if you copy a new binary 'over the top' of an old binary, some old dll's that are not over-written due to changes in the dll, or depreciated dll's can also cause problems. In an nutshell, always start with a clean binary, merging old and new can cause all sorts of problems. Always keep a backup of your old binary (every last file of it) so you can revert to it in case you deleted a file, or the new binary won't run.

Hopefully this should help the majority of people at the moment that have startup/connection issues. For anything else please create a new topic in the forum, use IRC or the web help (on the website) to get help from other users.

~Adelle

Post subject: Re: Upgrade issues, regions not connecting, regions not starting
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:38 pm 

Along this train of thought, I have 2 quad regions I am running. Ever since the recent upgrade, I can only access 3 of the 8 regions. One quad is completely offline, while only one of the regions in the other quad is not there. The regions are all visible on the Viewer Map. All 8 of these regions are running the same instance and have been working fine prior to the upgrade. I am running this of the OpenSim files: (12222010.v0.7.1.25ecd62) and have been prior to the upgrade. All worked well at that time. Any ideas? Tried newer OpenSim files and have same problem. I was told that I had to run each quad as a separate instance but have never had to in the past. Would appreciate any help you may have as well as suggestions. If you need a list of the regions I have, please advise and I will get them to you.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:11 pm 

Within a few days of the changover from 0.7.1 to 0.7.2 our regions stopped working - they appeared on the map but we couldn't log in nor tp to them...

Just this week I finally got around to downloading the new files FROM OSGRID.ORG...I followed this tutorial - got a set of errors pop up with each region that was loaded...and then it still completed its start-up....

We were STILL unable to login or tp to our regions...

Is there a different place i am supposed to get these files from?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:20 pm 
OSG Elite

Greetings,
no you did well. Please provide us with the "set of errors" to allow us help you. You can copy them from bin/OpenSim.log.

Thanks, Bo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:56 am 

Still tells me I can't login to my home region...here are the errors:

2011-06-28 08:53:18,071 ERROR - OpenSim.Services.Connectors.MapImageServicesConnector [MAP IMAGE CONNECTOR]: No Server URI named in section MapImageService
2011-06-28 08:53:18,071 ERROR - OpenSim.Server.Base.ServerUtils Error loading plugin from OpenSim.Services.Connectors.dll, exception System.Exception: MapImage connector init error
at OpenSim.Services.Connectors.MapImageServicesConnector.Initialise(IConfigSource source) in d:\OSGRID\OSGRID 0.7 RELEASES\opensim-698cd0b\OpenSim\Services\Connectors\MapImage\MapImageServiceConnector.cs:line 84
at OpenSim.Services.Connectors.MapImageServicesConnector..ctor(IConfigSource source) in d:\OSGRID\OSGRID 0.7 RELEASES\opensim-698cd0b\OpenSim\Services\Connectors\MapImage\MapImageServiceConnector.cs:line 66
2011-06-28 08:53:18,118 WARN - OpenSim.Region.CoreModules.ServiceConnectorsOut.MapImage.MapImageServiceModule [MAP IMAGE SERVICE MODULE]: Unable to load LocalServiceModule from OpenSim.Services.Connectors.dll:MapImageServicesConnector. MapService module disabled. Please fix the configuration.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:20 am 
OSG Elite

I would suspect something wrong with closed ports or maybe miscofigured DYNdns entry. Please provide us with more details about your network configuration

Here is explantion of the error you posted:

Steph Finchy wrote:
OpenSim.Services.Connectors.MapImageServicesConnector [MAP IMAGE CONNECTOR]: No Server URI named in section MapImageService

This:
Code:
[MapImageService]
      MapImageServerURI = "http://maptiles.osgrid.org:80"

is described here:
http://news.osgrid.org/2011/06/16/impor ... 1-release/
(GridCommon.ini Changes)

Please subscribe the news (sign me up button on the right side) to be sure that you will not miss important news again.

Thank you, Bo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:16 pm 

Thank you! Apparently dyn-dns accounts expire after 30 days and i wasn't aware so the regions file had a url that was no longer engaging my dynamic Ip...so i simply replaced my dyn-dns url in the regions file with the current IP...since I prefer not to pay for dyn-dns.

Am able to get in - and some scripts work fine - but the one which doesn't - and I find it quite annoying - is my open door script, which worked just fine in the old simulator. MOST regions don't seem to have a decent open door script, which is one of my pet peeves with OSG - so i was very excited to have a functioning andf trouble-free script.

Suggestions?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:31 pm 
OSG Elite

Welcome :)

Please, check on the DYNdns section of your router(if you have one) it should be able to update your DYNdns entry after every restart of the modem - IP change. Many are forgetting to set that part of their router up.

I am using simple door script which just rotates linked part(door) of the house. I never liked heavy door scripts with configuration notecards so i can't help much with that...

Bo

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 7:06 pm 
Furious Typer

You're paying for a DYN DNS?
Dynamic DNS's come automatically with IP services that are usually free.
Perhaps I misunderstood. DYN DNS meaning dynamic domain name service (a constantly changing address).
I pay for a STATIC address since I run a server
and usually don't have to worry about dynamic domain name services (DYN DNS).

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 1:49 am 
Dolph Gehlbard wrote:
You're paying for a DYN DNS?
Dynamic DNS's come automatically with IP services that are usually free.
Perhaps I misunderstood. DYN DNS meaning dynamic domain name service (a constantly changing address).
I pay for a STATIC address since I run a server
and usually don't have to worry about dynamic domain name services (DYN DNS).

Dyndns offers extra services that you get if you pay them (more domains, special custom ones, etc); and that might be what they mean. Ditto for no-ip.info.

Also, this thread is a year old, and I doubt anyone is gonna come back to re-read it.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ]