Change font size
It is currently Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:09 pm

Forum rules

. please keep questions related to an OpenSimulator and OSgrid nature.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 2   [ 20 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: OSGrid on Pi - Teleporting out of region and BulletPhysics.
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:00 pm 

I don't like Necro'ing a support thread without good reason. But I am happy to report that I have made progress.

The answer to teleportation issues on the Raspberry/Banana Pi is not to go backwards with Mono, but to go forwards!

Code:
Mono JIT compiler version 4.0.4 (Stable 4.0.4.1/5ab4c0d Tue Aug 25 23:45:14 UTC 2015)
Copyright (C) 2002-2014 Novell, Inc, Xamarin Inc and Contributors. www.mono-project.com
        TLS:           __thread
        SIGSEGV:       normal
        Notifications: epoll
        Architecture:  armel,vfp+hard
        Disabled:      none
        Misc:          softdebug
        LLVM:          supported, not enabled.
        GC:            sgen

I did a bit of reading about Mono 3.2.8 or the 'mono-complete' package that is currently out for debian wheezy which Raspberry/Banana Pi users currently run with. And the guy who ported states that it's "mostly" working. Well, OpenSimulator/OSGrid isn't one of those programs that you can get by with "mostly".

The people at http://www.mono-project.com/docs/getting-started/install/linux/ have pre-compiled binaries for the most common linux operating systems of 4.0. And it so happens they also compiled Armv7 processors in there as well. Although not Specific to Raspberry Pi this is awesome news. Following their instructions:

Code:
sudo apt-key adv --keyserver hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com:80 --recv-keys 3FA7E0328081BFF6A14DA29AA6A19B38D3D831EF
echo "deb http://download.mono-project.com/repo/debian wheezy main" | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mono-xamarin.list
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

I had to use dist-upgrade as it was holding back the mono 4.0 since I had official mono installed.

This news however does not come without a downside:

Since the mono-project team compiled with Armv7 processors. It means that the Raspberry Pi Gen 1 users are out of luck as of this time as they are Armv6 processors. They can compile mono without hard-float but running OSGrid on softfloat is the equivalent of running it on a Pentium II 233Mhz box. It may work, but not well. In time debian may catch up and port Armv6 mono 4.0 to those users.

But at least in my case. Teleporting issue is SOLVED. Apologies for everyone who got trapped on my sim.:) I practiced teleporting back and forth from Wright Plaza and Sandboxes back to my new sim "Furry Art" on 10122,10144 . Name change as Furry Isles was a group of people on OSGrid I didn't even know. And don't want any confusion.

Onward to recompiling native bulletsim and see if mono 4.0 solved that as well.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:36 am 

Nope, it looks like i'm stuck with BulletXNA for now as even though it compiles happily with no errors it hard-crashes on startup regardless of version I pick. Like Mono, I may have to wait for the OpenSimulator dev team for an update to bullet3 in order to try again.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:27 am 

Did you ever get this TP issue resolved? I've just run into the same problem with an ODROID XU4. It has Ubuntu 15.04 (GNU/Linux 3.10.92-64 armv7l) with Mono 3.2.8 (Debian 3.2.8+dfsg-4ubuntu4) installed.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:49 am 

Shy Robbiani wrote:
Did you ever get this TP issue resolved? I've just run into the same problem with an ODROID XU4. It has Ubuntu 15.04 (GNU/Linux 3.10.92-64 armv7l) with Mono 3.2.8 (Debian 3.2.8+dfsg-4ubuntu4) installed.

the mono 3.2.8 may be causing the same issues under Ubuntu as it was for me under Raspian. If you follow the instructions two posts back on how to add the Mono repo to your version of linux it may work for you. since that post mono has upgraded to version 4.2.0 and the teleportation issues are totally resolved.

The BulletPhysics issue isn't much of a problem anymore thanks to the last merge of code from Avination. It brought ODE up to date. Had to recompile ODE and now I can rez 20+ boxes and not have the Pi region crash which is WAY better then before!

I would still love to see bullet 3 come out for OpenSIM because then there's the possibility of using OpenCL off of the newer pi variants GPU to drive the physics rather then hammering just the CPU. But with patience good things come.:)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:26 pm 

This will be my last post in this thread. I hate it when I read a thread and find that nothing happened or there was no solution at the end of it all.

I'm not exactly sure what happened. But I was finally able to compile a unmanaged libBulletSim.so file for my ARMv7 processor. I did have to use the -DCMAKE_CXX_FLAGS="-fPIC" flag when i cmake the file. But it turns out that there was something really wrong with one of the compiling libraries in Debian wheezy (raspbian) that kept hard-crashing OpenSim when using Bullet 2.82 in unmanaged mode..

I loaded a fresh copy of Debian Jessie onto one of my Pi's and it compiled without a problem. I can even take the binary off of my Jessie version and place it onto my other Pi running Wheezy and it works!

I thought there would be a performance difference in running it unmanaged and away from Mono. Turns out it's faster , but barely noticeable on the Pi's. Bullet unmanaged still eats up about %20 on one of the processor cores regardless if you run unmanaged or through MONO.

It's nice to finally say "Mission Complete" but I think ubODE sort of took away a lot of that thunder of success. And that's OKAY! I like the new ODE is way better. The only way they could make it even better is if it could do multi-threading.

I would like to provide to you the pre-compiled binaries for anyone else reading this. I tested it with Raspberry Pi 2, Banana Pi M1, Orange Pi. And tested each under Debian Wheezy (Raspbian) and Debian Jessie (ether Raspbian with apt dist-upgrade or direct image) If you have a non-Armv7 processor then you will have to go through the trials of compiling.

libBulletSim.so - compiled v2.82 r2704 under Debian Jessie for ArmV7
libode.so - compiled v0.13.1mod from opensim-libs under Debian Wheezy for ArmV7

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:01 am 

Hello, I just wanted to give a brief update.

My Pi tried to update itself to mono 4.2.2.11. After it did this my OpenSim process jumped to 50+ percent usage. and it was crashing every 2-4 hours. I have no idea why the updated version of Mono was doing this. Out of my scope of knowledge.

To correct I had to roll back the debian install of Mono on my Pi.

Code:
sudo apt-get remove mono-complete mono-devel
sudo apt-get purge mono-complete mono-devel
sudo apt-get autoremove

repoint the distro to a snapshot:

Code:
echo "deb http://download.mono-project.com/repo/debian wheezy/snapshots/4.0.5.1/. main" | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mono-xamarin.list

The finally install a 'safer' version of Mono.

Code:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get mono-devel mono-complete

ahhh, processor power is back down to 5-10 percent when sim is idle and %20-30 when logged in bouncing around!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:55 pm 

Riot Ornitz wrote:
Hello, I just wanted to give a brief update.

My Pi tried to update itself to mono 4.2.2.11. After it did this my OpenSim process jumped to 50+ percent usage. and it was crashing every 2-4 hours. I have no idea why the updated version of Mono was doing this. Out of my scope of knowledge.

To correct I had to roll back the debian install of Mono on my Pi.

Code:
sudo apt-get remove mono-complete mono-devel
sudo apt-get purge mono-complete mono-devel
sudo apt-get autoremove

repoint the distro to a snapshot:

Code:
echo "deb http://download.mono-project.com/repo/debian wheezy/snapshots/4.0.5.1/. main" | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mono-xamarin.list

The finally install a 'safer' version of Mono.

Code:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get mono-devel mono-complete

ahhh, processor power is back down to 5-10 percent when sim is idle and %20-30 when logged in bouncing around!

Hi All: I'm getting 6% also using 3.2.8. It works very well... :D Also using ODE for the Physics engine... It's very stable...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:23 pm 
Furious Typer

You have only 1 GB of RAM?
If I'm not mistaken, it needs more than that.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:29 am 

Hi Dolph; Yes that is correct for 1 raspberry pi. I have 3 at the moment testing with a recompiled ode engine on a docker swarm cluster now loaded on usb's in a raid 5 without sd cards at all... The raspberry cluster has 12 cores and 3 gig memory to use. I am using persistent storage on the swarm master with a msql container on a 1 terabyte drive. The other 2 nodes use the usb cruser fit 16G usb drives in a raid 5 configuration. My Partner Sarah and I have over 30 sims running now in osgrid. These are on pi's. We have an open MoSa Welcome Plaza, if you wish to visit there. The instructions of the swarm are in the Orientation Building there. So Just to let you know, BulletPhysics does not work well at all on the pi. I'm using pi 3's and 1 pi 2. (The point of all this is Low Cost and very very low power consumption) pi cost $30.00

MovLab :D

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:13 am 

Dolph Gehlbard wrote:
You have only 1 GB of RAM?
If I'm not mistaken, it needs more than that.

Hello Dolph.

Well, I can report to you about my sim that has been running for a year now. Although not much construction is on my island parcel. it takes up 58mb of ram for the OpenSim executable in mono . and about 38mb of ram for the MySQL. The Rasbian OS only takes 80mb of ram to boot into headless mode with no gui. This leaves approximatly 700mb of ram free on my Arm based Pi system of 1gb total. Perhaps if my sim was linked to a bunch of high traffic neighboring regions such resources/ram may spike however that theory has not been tested.

The bottleneck is raw power due to all physics, OODE, and bullet only operating on a single-thread level. Upon throwing an Orange Pi into a headless state the performance with physics was noticeably better since the Orange Pi ARM operates around 1.2-1.4ghz quad-core. The unit I got costed $17 and eats around 10watts of power when under 100 percent CPU load. otherwise drops to 3-4 watts. Did have to add a heatsink on top keep it from locking.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 2   [ 20 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2