Change font size
It is currently Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:12 pm

Forum rules

. please keep questions related to an OpenSimulator and OSgrid nature.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]
 Post subject: Asset issues making new system layer items (skins, clothing)
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:14 am 

I keep stumbling on this and I'm trying to understand why and when it happens.
It occurs not always and which viewer is used shouldn't make a difference.

Reproduce:

1) Create a new skin or clothing in inventory
2) Rename it
3) Select a texture(s) for the new skin/clothing
4) Wear to test

so far so good

5) Relog with a viewer in which the item is not cached or just clear cache and log in again

BAM. "Failed to find body part/clothing in database".

It happens half of the tries and I am trying to find a work around, it can be very annoying for clothing makers to see the just created layers or skin is now a missing asset after a relog.

Any ideas?

Post subject: Re: Asset issues making new system layer items (skins, clothing)
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:13 am 
Site Admin

What is the date of the build you're using?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:32 pm 
Furious Typer

Might I suggest you check your console log for messages that look sort of like "failure to load blah blah queuing for another run"? I have been trying out a script that sets the skin on a mesh avi and which relies on picking up the local baked texture. The set texture call totally fails every once in a while, and I have tied it to getting that message, which to my mind would indicate the asset server is not getting the texture right away. Bad asset server!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:42 pm 

dan banner wrote:
What is the date of the build you're using?

Git rev 5cc0d66 from november the 26th, which is 1 or 2 commits behind or ahead what OsGrid offers on the download page.

But the problem happens longer, at least since 2 months over various builds.

I'm sure I've had this problem in Sandbox Plaza too, will try to reproduce it again in a plaza. This not only happens to just me either.

It's not consistent sometimes it happens other times not.. 50%? Almost like when the asset server is under load it won't write away newly made skins/clothes. But why does it only happen to system skins/clothes and not newly made objects like a house?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:55 pm 

Jozee Tungsten wrote:
Might I suggest you check your console log for messages that look sort of like "failure to load blah blah queuing for another run"? I have been trying out a script that sets the skin on a mesh avi and which relies on picking up the local baked texture. The set texture call totally fails every once in a while, and I have tied it to getting that message, which to my mind would indicate the asset server is not getting the texture right away. Bad asset server!

I will make a clean test sim with full debug logging and check for those.. sounds very similar to when loading or saving a big .IAR, I got tons of such messages back then and it wasn't clear whether the operation succeeded 100% complete.

Sidenote: Not tried this yet but a friend says it works for appliers; you can get any of your avi texture id's by using osAgentSaveAppearance and then parsing the uuid's from the saved npc notecard.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:23 pm 
Furious Typer

Quote:
Sidenote: Not tried this yet but a friend says it works for appliers; you can get any of your avi texture id's by using osAgentSaveAppearance and then parsing the uuid's from the saved npc notecard.

That is exactly what I am doing. It doesn't matter how you do it, the texture still has to be uploaded to the asset server before it will show in the viewer and this is not happening. I have concerns about the state of the asset server.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:49 am 

This is still an ongoing issue and I can't reproduce it 100% and can't find usable debug output so far. Are there no other creators having the same issue?

Is there some magic workaround of steps that need to be done in a specific order in order for a newly created system layer to be saved permanently? Because I tried just about everything, taking it off after creation, then putting it on again doesn't solve it.

To me it's like the asset is being written away with a total different UUID than the viewer references it as. Because on a clear viewer cache and then relog the asset can't be found.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:14 am 

I have found out some more about this problem.

By default in FlotsamCache.ini, the setting MemoryCacheEnabled is off (false). Since I had lots of RAM to spare I had turned this setting on (true) and that is what was causing this.

There is some work being done on MemoryCache in git so I just leave the setting to false for the time being.

Btw, you still need to unwear a layer after creation, to have the asset server store which texture(s) you've chosen. That's normal.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]