Change font size
It is currently Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:12 pm

Forum rules

. please keep questions related to an OpenSimulator and OSgrid nature.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]
 Post subject: can''t select region at console - RESOLVED
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:30 pm 
Furious Typer

I have four regions on a server. I use the latest version of OpenSim, Linux 16.04 is the OS, and I am running mono 4.2.1. I'm having problems with only one of the four regions.

In making some OAR files I discovered that I can't select one of the regions using "change region" at the console. The same region has had some minor Vivox problems -- I don't know if that's related. And it can be tricky to get to as it doesn't show on the map search but my LMs work just fine and once I'm in that region and open the map it shows up.
I've looked pretty carefully at the startup output and the Region.ini file and I'm not finding anything to explain the "couldn't select region XXX" problem.

Hints, guesses and opinions gratefully received..

Em

A little experiment (running the region by itself) shows that the server thinks there are two identical regions -- same UUIDs. It won't run the region all by itself, but when I put the region definition in an INI file with 3 others, it runs them all.

Last edited by Em Jannings on Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: can''t select region at console
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:49 am 
Site Admin

If a UUID of a region is already listed on the map (also counts for duplicate names and/or coordinates), it cannot boot, and will simply crash the simulator at startup. UUID's are required to be unique.

Try the stuff below to get is resolved :
1. Shutdown all regions, and make sure they have a unique name / UUID / location on map and UDP port in your region.ini files.
2. If you run multiple simulators, make sure the http listener port of each sim is set to a unique TCP port in opensim.ini
3. If all is set correct, login to your account on the Osgrid website, click my profile, and purge all regions from your account.
4. Optional : Clear your viewer cache (prevents you from looking at cached stuff on the map).
5. Start your regions, they should re-register on the map without any issue.
6. Test if your problems are resolved.

Post subject: Re: can''t select region at console - RESOLVED
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:00 am 
Furious Typer

thanks for your reply -- I have that as first on my list for this morning and will post the results here. I've made the checks you suggest so shutdown and purge are next.

Em

Tuesday -- I did the purge as instructed several times and when I restarted I was still unable to change regions to that particular one. I tried restarting the server with just that region in the INI file and that worked so I was able to take an OAR for backup -- which is a step forward. However, when I restarted with all 4 regions in the ini I was unable to do a change region to the problem one. So I made some progress and if I do manage a more conventional solution down the road I'll post here. Thanks again for suggesting purge.

January 12, 2017 -- well this is embarrassing, but I think I ought to come clean. After being stumped by this problem I sort of put it aside. Tonight I got back after it and used "show regions" to get a listing of details like UUID, port number, position and so on. I printed it out and on looking closely at the information almost immediately spotted a spelling error. That's right. In Region.ini the name of the region is spelled "Fee Bird" and in my head it's spelled "Free Bird." When I used the spelling in Region.ini I could change to that region. BTW, in my former life I was an English teacher. Truth.

So the moral is, Right after you check to see if the computer is plugged in, check your spelling!

Thanks again to all who tried to help.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]