Change font size
It is currently Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:11 pm

Forum rules

. please keep questions related to an OpenSimulator and OSgrid nature.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ]
 Post subject: Is the grid down? (December 11/16)
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:35 pm 
Furious Typer

I've been trying for over an hour to login but it keeps timing out on me no matter which machine or avatar I try.

Post subject: Re: Is the grid down? (December 11/16)
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:41 am 
Site Admin

Nope. Here are some things to check if you can't connect and are unsure if it is the grid :

The login screen will show if logins are enabled or disabled :
Users in world: 47
Hypergrid Visitors: 19
Total Regions: 8860
Active users (last 30 days): 3742
Total Users: 113704
Grid is ONLINE

If service is interrupted, you can generally see it being 'down' here as well :
http://www.osgrid.org/index.php/sitestats

And http://opensimworld.com/dir will typically also show where users are atm, providing a good indication if somethings wrong or not.

If anything serious happens, typically an emergency message is put up on : https://twitter.com/osgrid (this will appear in your login screen as well).

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:53 am 
Furious Typer

Foxx Bode wrote:
Nope. Here are some things to check if you can't connect and are unsure if it is the grid :

If anything serious happens, typically an emergency message is put up on : https://twitter.com/osgrid (this will appear in your login screen as well).

Yeah I dumped social webpages last year when retarded trolls started to flock to them like cockroaches in a cheap hotel. I even tossed out my TV because you could no longer watch any show without the conservative trolls littering the airwaves....

So... in other words... Twitter is a bad idea...

I rolled back my software to the previous build and all seems to be working since then... I can't say if it IS a bug in the software or not but when you remove all sources at your end, you have to wonder about the other end.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:14 am 
Site Admin

You cannot avoid the Twitter. It's embedded in the viewer login screen / OSG homepage. ;)

Quote:
I rolled back my software to the previous build and all seems to be working since then... I can't say if it IS a bug in the software or not but when you remove all sources at your end, you have to wonder about the other end.

Being unable to start/login to your regions, is quite different from not being able to login to the grid at all. Likely your regions were not available for whatever reason, making you fail to login.

Typically this is a configuration issue of some kind. The opensim log (textfile, you can open it with notepad) might give some clues on what was failing. It saved all the console output, so if you didn't delete the files from the "failed" sims, you should be able to read back, and possibly find errors indicating what is wrong in that log.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:59 pm 
Furious Typer

Finding the errors is one thing... translating them into usuable english is a totally different thing (btw... I don't know about others but my sims don't have separate log files - just one big one: opensim.log)

Normally after all sims have loaded all scripts, they can be logged into but recently it's been a total hassle... then about 50 percent of the time, no matter how many times you've logged in that day, you still end up rerouted somewhere else (quite often LBSA Plaza when you log in HOME or Last Location .

And there was hours on end where I couldn't log into the grid (any location) on the date of this original post.

I go to other grids from time to time, mostly when logins here are difficult or impossible (admittedly a rarity) and never has similar issues. So consider this a bug report... it's there and covering your ears and chanting "la la la..." won't change that fact at all.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:15 am 
Site Admin

When a region is not available, and you try to login to it, you will automatically be redirected to the nearest Plaza. If you don't select any destination in the viewer, or when completely new, you will be defaulted to "land" in LBSA plaza.

The logfile dumps all console output, and since these are servers communicating, not all will make sense. What's handy to know is that you can just delete the file. When you than boot a region, it writes a new file at startup, so you don't need to dig your way through a mile of potentially irrelevant logs. ( You get a clean file, with start of the region being logged, until it fails / crashes). Connection errrors, routing problems, destinations unreachable, they will show up with reasonabe indications on whats failing.
This tutorial : http://wiki.osgrid.org/index.php/Tutorial03 has a bunch of log entries "translated", with the most "common" failures.

Since you're apparently the only one reporting this issue (i found only this forum post, no open mantis or bug reports, no mentions of similar issues in any of the weekly meetings in past months), chances are big that something "failed" at your end. This could be caused by any random configuration issue, but also boil down to something like DNS at your ISP temporarily not properly resolving names to IP adresses. The grid has had no downtime, and people have been logged in all day, and every day, so we can pretty much excude it from having an issue.

Mind this is not meant to deny you running into this problem, but to file a bug report, an issue needs to be reproducible. If that's not possible, we have to assume the source causing the issue is elsewhere than on the gridside. No matter how frustrating that might be for anyone running into issues they cannot explain or resolve.

If you want, i can have a look at your configs and logs. I can't promise i can fix anything, or even pinpoint the cause, but i'm confident it should be "fixxable". Just not by changing stuff with regards to logins on the grid, as that is working just fine for thousands of others. You can hit me inworld, PM or mail if you want me to investigate for you.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:56 am 
Furious Typer

once again I'll tell you... I don't know WHERE you think these log files are from every sim but they do not exist (if they do, they don't have the *.log extension)

For nine years things ran perfectly... then suddenly starting with the update before last, login location was rerouted upon login. To teleport home immediately after rezzing inworld works, so the issue ain't here. And yes, I even tested a month old backup... no issues with it, BUT newer builds did have issues.

One of the problems with many bug reports is that many won't report them because invariably there will be someone who trolls them by saying crap like "oh it works just fine for me"

Screw it... You can count me in on that number!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:21 pm 
Furious Typer

You really need to post a mantis for something like this http://opensimulator.org/mantis/my_view_page.php.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:39 pm 
Furious Typer

translate "mantis"
the only mantis I've ever heard of is an insect

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:11 am 
Furious Typer

Foxxe,

I know you are a loooong time user of OSGrid, I've seen you here on the forums and in LBSA. We've talked. You are important because you are one of the members who've chosen to stick with it. Please read the following, with the understanding that I have respect for you as a user, an OSGrid resident, and as someone who gives enough sh!t to complain from time to time.

No one is trolling you. Foxx and Jozee have both offered solid tech support advice.

On Windows, the Opensim log file exist in the same folder as opensim.exe, usually the \bin folder, and the log file is clearly named opensim.log. Is Windows Explorer hiding file extensions from you? Having only used the viewers on Linux, someone else will have to point you to the location of the log file, and what its name is on that platform.

Mantis refers, in this case, to the method of properly logging a bug so that it gets in front of the devs who can actually determine if something is wrong. To file a mantis, follow the link that Jozee posted, and take the time to read the page, follow a few links there, get yourself familiar with Mantis.

If you are unable to login to your regions, but able to login somewhere else on the grid, such as LBSA, the problem is not the grid, as it obviously is working for you to log into.

The problem, then, is one of the following:
1. As you suggested, something with the last update, in which a Mantis is STRONGLY recommended.
2. Something in your local setup.
(any thing from a random Windows update or dependency update on Linux to provider issues);
** Do not discount this. Short of it being a bug in the code, this is the most likely culprit.
3. The vast internet between you and the OSGrid servers. If you can Google, then clearly not this!

It is very important to note here, what version of the opensim software are you actually using? Is it the OSGrid distribution, or the stock Opensim distribution? Are you updating the software daily, as in, using the nightly builds? If so, Foxxe, you need to understand that software development is a process, whereby, instructions are written for the computer to follow, ie, the software source code. Sometimes, in such complex systems as Opensim, bugs are introduced that could invariably cause an issue for a single user, or for many users. This is because, no two computers are exactly the same. Differences in the software and the updates applied to said software, differences in the manufacturing processes that make a component on one computer ever so slightly different on the next one on the production line.

What I'm trying to say is simply this.

There are just too many damned variables to chase!!! People, as a fact of life, as a conscious choice to succeed or fail, are responsible for teaching themselves the tools they are using. Learning is not a one time event, it is a process. It is trial and error, making mistakes, and discovering for ones self, the proper solution to the problem at hand.

(Foxxe, do not take this personally, but I do have to rant, as this thread fits the description below!!!)

TROLL ON

As someone who has spent a lifetime fixing other people mistakes, nothing is more irritating than the experience of someone who revels in complaining about some perceived problem, yet does nothing to try to help themselves. Simply listen to the advice of more experienced users and spend more time reading and rereading the documentation that may have actually been created or changed since the last time you looked.

TROLL OFF

With much love,
Shad MOrdre

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ]