Change font size
It is currently Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:16 pm

Forum rules

. please keep questions related to an OpenSimulator and OSgrid nature.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]
 Post subject: ISP ULTRA-GEEKS NEEDED!
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:30 pm 
Furious Typer

I've been fighting with my ISP that has suddenly dumped any form of support for DDNS-like functions. No matter what I do, I cannot get DDNS to work any more. I've not installed anything new when the problem appeared. By DDNS-like, I mean both, normal DDNS functions as well as using the precise IP addy instead of the DDNS addy. ALL TIME OUT (or don't connect at all)

They tried to tell me "oh it must be your router's settings" Now bear in mind I have THREE routers (now, I used to only have 2) I have tested things out on all three and get the EXACT SAME RESULT --- the connection times out.

THEN they attempted to say "well then it must be your OS." Now I have TWO different operations systems (switchable) on this computer and one on my 2nd system. ALL work the same way... and I even reloaded a 3 month old OS partition backup! No luck there either.

So, we've covered 2 computers, 3 routers, 3 operating systems (four if you count the backup as well). I've even had the cable professionally replaced and the cable modem swapped out... STILL no luck.

This all reminds me of what happens when you don't have a port properly forwarded on a home (or small office) system.

I am totally lost on this one. ALL other internet functions work - it's JUST THIS ONE VERY MUCH NEEDED FUNCTION THAT IS BUGGERED UP.

If I can't find any help here then I will have to do (to me) the unthinkable - get a new provider. As I am on a disability pension, I can't really afford such things but I am preparing myself to go on a serious diet to cover this cost.

:(

Post subject: Re: ISP ULTRA-GEEKS NEEDED!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:40 pm 
Furious Typer

Attn: Foxx Bode

As outgoing PMs seem to be locked in my outbox (no send or submit key seems to show), contact me via skype @ foxxe.wilder

Post subject: Re: ISP ULTRA-GEEKS NEEDED! FIXED!!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:07 pm 
Furious Typer

I have found the problem(s)

I had some a$$hole telnetting my system and screwing up my settings etc...

SO... I MAC cloned an addy from a machine I no longer use (this forces an IP change with a Dynamic IP) Then I dug out the old installation DVD and set it up from scratch!

Thanks to Foxx Bode for helping me to reconsider the routers' settings once again

AND... the next person to hack in will need to hack a 64 character password (also I've rerouted Telnet to an outside IP)

So.. the WILDERness is back! :)

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]