if you want to request help for some trouble you expirience, please first understand that this is a community project and help is done by volunteers. there is no "staff" and such noch service (like a paid service), so all service is done by other chaps like yourself (lets say other user). Be kind, check other informations before you post and provide all information needed. Most likely other people have big interest to google for you a just collect stuff from this forum that was allready posted.
opensim ist alpha(maybe beta?) software, osgrid is an open heterogenus grid open to development. expect things to go wrong. you get the newest features, patches and some of the most competent people for that pain.
support is mostly done by forums, so many people can help and many can re-read it for solving own problems. paid one2one support is available by some companys and individuals.
Follow this guidelines:
a) if you have trouble with connecting (regions) to or login in osgrid, make sure at least the website and the login there works. if it does not, maybe post this to the forum, if it is not allready posted. don´t forget to close a thread you opend, when the problem is fixed. however, it is allways clever to just wait 1-2h if connecting is a problem. don´t start to post about specific problem, if you did not retry it for/after at least 2h.
b) if you try to set up a region and/or connect it to osgrid or did a reconfiguration:
- follow the manuals on http://opensimulator.org
- check out the Instructions of ofgrid (see menu on the left)
- for german speaker, check the howtows on http://www.ralf-haifisch.biz/
make sure your opensim.ini is up to date (check opensim.ini.example) and you have a version, that is at least as up2date as the download offerered by osgrid. older stuff is hard to support, if even allowed to connect to osgrid.
c) if you have trouble making your avatar living (where do i, how do i), makre sure to check out:
- check out the Welcome Infos at the Plazas
- get a copy of Praxis Thinkers Newbie Howto´s
- for german speaker there is a welcome region at Sharkland Tropical 3
- if something is not working as you expect, try 3-4 different regions (config may be different)
- use the "search" in the forum, before a new post
now - uhh... all that did not help you..
d) post your Problem
- make the Subject clear, e.g. "Q: wich tools help with terraforming on edges of regions?" or
"Q: SVN7233 - region is crashing with out of memory after 4-6h"
- make crystal clear wich version of server (e.g. 6.2.7999 SVN trunk) and Viewer (e.g. Hippo 0.4) you are using
- if you question is about a region, simulator, grid - put enough info in your FIRST POST
- describe your architecture (server at home, server hosted, firewall, routing, networks, dns, linux + version, windows + version)
- describe your setup (standalone, own grid, connected to osgrid)
- post your opensim.ini
- post your region *.xml of the region in question
- remove passwords
- where did you get the binaries
- post the errormessage (screenshoots, logs)
- wich manual (link) did you follow to do waht you did
- a small log of the things you allready did
- its allways good to leave a comment about your expirience level
this stuff often even leads to the solution while compiling the information
if you have done all this steps, even the more expirienced people are more likely willing to help.
if you put none or partly infos, don´t get angry if you get no help - time is just limited and people spend it where they see a chance to help quickly.
PS: this article should serv as a reference. so instead writing down all wahts needed over and over, other supporter and devs can just point to it. comments are welcome.