Change font size
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:49 am

Forum rules

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]
 Post subject: [HOW-TO] 3rd Party Viewer, Installing SLVoice & KDU decoder
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 1:22 pm 
OSG Elite

** Special Note: **
3rd Party Viewers do not ship with SLVoice or llKDU Texture decoder.

SLVoice is self explanatory.

llKDU: is the texture decoder. This is what rezzes your texures, sculpty shapes and more. 3rd Party Viewers use openJPG because KDU is licenced commercial software. So you can steal it from SL Viewer and copy it into your 3rd Party viewer and it works just fine. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND that you use llKDU as that will stop crashes, tecxture issues and a whole lot more. OpenJPG has many inherent issues and the worst being memory leakage which chews up RAM till it crashes the viewer.

--- WINDOWS INSTRUCTIONS ---
* Assumung you have a Genuine SL Viewer installed. Else install one.
1) copy the following files from a Genuine SL Viewer Directory
"C:\Program Files\secondlife" (32 Bit Windows) OR
"C:\Program Files (x86)\SecondLife" (64 Bit Windows)

llkdu.dll
llkdu.dll.2.config
-- rest is for SLVoice --
ortp.dll
SLVoice.exe
vivoxsdk.dll
wrap_oal.dll

2) Paste these into the Imprudence Directory, located @
C:\Program Files\Imprudence (32 Bit Windows) OR
C:\Program Files (x86)\Imprudence (64 Bit Windows)

--- LINUX ---
1) Copy your SL Viewers bin/libllkdu.* to the Imprudence/bin/
2) Copy your SL Viewer bin/lib/libkdu.* to the imprudence/lib/ folder

sorry, I have no info on voice staff for NIX systems at this time.

--- MAC ---
-- SL Voice info, only minimal KDU info avail at time of writting this.

llkdu.dylib and can be found in: SecondLife.app/Contents/Resources

1) download official viewer 1.23.X from Lab.
2) open application with right click (or ctrl-click if you on apple laptop with one trackpad button) -> show package contents
3) copy SLVoice libalut.dylib libllkdu.dylib libopenal.dylib libortp.dylib libvivoxsdk.dylib files from Contents/Resources folder to same folder in your Imprudence viewer.app
4) enjoy voice and raised video performance.

Post subject: Re: [HOW-TO] 3rd Party Viewer, Installing SLVoice & KDU decoder
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 3:39 pm 
Furious Typer

Do you need to enable anything in the viewer or on the server to make this texture thing work? Also, would it work for hippo? Cheers!

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 7:17 pm 
Site Admin

I can verify that the instructions for Linux are good, it's just the two files you need and nothing more.
I haven't had a chance to test this extensively but it *did* solve the annoying flashing of clothing textures for sure :)
Thanks, Whitestar!

Lord, nothing to do except insert the files in the specified locations, then restart the viewer.

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 9:43 am 
OSG Elite

No 3rd Party Viewer "can" package SLVoice or KDU decoder. Some have an optional install for SLVoice, and I am unaware of any that install KDU.

Upon Startup of teh viewer, IF it discoveres KDU & Voice, it will enable their use by default. There is nothing to change / edit or do further.

The instructuctions as posted apply to ANY 3rd party viewer, with the obvious differences for the path names to the viewer applications.

A Special Feature:
In Imprudence (Beta-3 and beyond) you will see a new addition to the Edit/Preferences/Advanced menu options. Enable HTTP Textures. In other viewers the following can be set:
Viewer Debug Setting: set ImagePipelineUseHTTP to true

What does this do ?
In most recent versions of OpenSim this is a feature which is now available to us. What it does, is it sends textures to teh viewer using HTTP as opposeed to UDP. The net result is that this is Faster to deliver textures to the viewer and much less starin on teh region server to "pre-process" things for the viewer as the viewer does it anyways.

If your Viewer is set to use this and you go to a region which cannot do HTTP Textures, the viewer will automatically fall back to the original method with your intervention.

WHEN NOT TO USE !
If you do not have llKDU in your viewer and teh viewer is using openJPG, Sculpts and some other textures will not appear correctly. openJPG is simply NOT up to the task at this time.

How to Verify what Decoder you have:
In your viewer, do a HELP/About and scroll down a little bit, you will see a line similar to this:
J2C Decoder Version: KDU or J2C Decoder Version: openJPG version ....

Hope this helps. Good Luck & Have Fun.

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 1:14 pm 
Site Admin

In case anyone is wondering about enabling HTTP textures in the viewer, and whether it's enabled in your region's opensim software, I asked WhiteStar on IRC chat if we have to edit OpenSim.ini for http textures to work or do anything else. His answer was "no, if you have either of the last 2 OSG Binaries, it's all auto-magic".

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 10:03 am 
Furious Typer

WhiteStar Magic wrote:
Upon Startup of teh viewer, IF it discoveres KDU & Voice, it will enable their use by default. There is nothing to change / edit or do further.

This does not work for me in Imprudence 1.3.0 beta 4 (haven't had a chance to try it in beta3 because of the critical bug fix). The About box always reports "J2C Decoder Version: OpenJPEG: 1.3.0, Runtime: 1.3.0", whether I have copied the KDU libraries from SL Viewer 1.23.5 to the Imprudence installation folder or not. I even tried to copy the voice libs, too, just in case Imprudence's detection only works if all the libraries are present.

I take it that this is not just an issue with displaying the correct version because I do see texture issues when I enable "Use HTTP textures" (for example, my avatar's eyeballs become invisible), even when llkdu.dll and llkdu.dll.2.config reside in the same folder as imprudence.exe. These issues go away as soon as I disable the "Use HTTP textures" option again.

Has anybody else had success with this under Windows XP?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:22 pm 
Site Admin

carn, the kdu decoder from sl 1.23.5 doesn't work under windows. Try using the dll from emerald.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:27 am 
OSG Elite

I use llKDU from SL Viewer 1.23.5 on Windows 7/64 & Windows Vista/32 without problems or issues. The KDU files are precompiled and there is no source available, so the only place it originates from is the LL Viewers.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:01 am 
Furious Typer

I got the llkdu.dll from an Emerald installation and this did the trick! I do see "J2C Decoder Version: KDU" in "About Imprudence" now. Using HTTP textures also works fine now. Thanks for the heads-up.

Apparently, there is some difference in llkdu.dll used by the standard SL viewer and the version that comes with Emerald.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]