Change font size
It is currently Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:10 am

Forum rules

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]
 Post subject: Copybotting, seems to be allowed
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:43 pm 

So I noticed a certain person on the OSGrid has been openly wearing copybotted avatars (5 in the last 2 days) in front of an admin for the grid and also openly talked about rips he will import for anyone like cars (which are from Steam) and guns from Second Life. The avatars are known that he has no permissions to import it into any grid out of SL and he is telling people he made them too.

Post subject: Re: Copybotting, seems to be allowed
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:15 pm 
Furious Typer

Ninjarisu,

Copybotting is frowned upon in most virtual worlds. This includes OSGrid.

First, let's clarify what you mean by avatar. The name, the shape, the skin, the attachments?
1. Names, in this context, cannot be copyrighted. Trade names, such as a business name, can be trademarked.
2. Shapes can be created by various people that are very similar to others. Since this is a built in mechanism, it is not only possible, but very likely that two people created the same avatar appearance.
3. The texture files that make up skins can be copyrighted.
4. The attachments, ie, the textures and the scripts can be copyrighted. But nothing stops anyone from creating a physical shape, which isn't copyright-able.

Just out of curiousity, are they your avatars? Did you say anything to the admin who was present, or just expect them to do something? I personally don't pay much attention to random people, unless I am actually engaging that individual, and even then, how am I supposed to know that they are infringing on anything?

Is it possible that an SL user brought their creations to OSGrid? This happens very frequently, FYI.

No human being, regardless of your personal views, can possibly know about every avatar that has ever been created. To think so shows serious ignorance of the real world and life within it.

Talking of doing something is not infringement. Actually infringing is another matter.

The owners of any infringed copyrights need to send a DCMA notice to the infringing avatar. That is solely the responsibility of the owner of the copyright to take action.

The OSGrid admins aren't really in a position, without legal notice, to do anything.

Shad

Post subject: Re: Copybotting, seems to be allowed
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:10 pm 

No I think I know of whom they speak.
They clearly say they know that it's copybotted, and don't care.
These items are either well known big game Corporation assets, Second Life Creator created assets for sale in SL.
If this person were to take the Second Life Mesh Upload test, and forced somehow to answer each question honestly, and not what the test wants to hear, they would fail each question.
And yes this is done in front of grid admins.

But one cannot blame just here in OSGrid.
GCG, Kitely, is well known for some Users taking free items made by OSGrid creators and sell them.

However by law, the grid owners can legally do nothing unless someone files a DMCA, otherwise if the admins, deleted/banned said users and known alts. Those users could sue, although I'm sure OSGrid has somewhere in it's TOS/EULA it can nuke anyone at any time for any reason.
However either way a lawsuit = less money for an already cash strapped grid whether they win or not.

The best thing to do is shame the person, and let it be known the item is here.
Take a screenshot of /only/ the user wearing the offending Mesh in LBSA, upload it to OpenSim Virtual G+.
Those folks will get the word out, so that the original owners can actually file a DMCA.

Other then that though, just mute/derender, and delete anything they send you.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]