Change font size
It is currently Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:09 am

Forum rules

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]
 Post subject: looking for grid money advise
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:14 pm 

Hi,
I'm looking for grid money advise. Looked into podex and many others but im now more confused than before i started.
Please recommend what you do or would do.
Thanks in advance,
Dead

Post subject: Re: looking for grid money advise
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:23 am 
Site Admin

I suggest to read this : http://forums.osgrid.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1642

:roll:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:23 am 

Foxx Bode wrote:

thanks, but i did read it and its is 2008 so im looking for some more update suggestions :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:30 am 

There is not a slight chance a global grid currency will be introduced in OsGrid. On a recent OsGrid or OpenSim (I forgot which) meeting one of the admins said a test (toy currency) with it many years ago was exploited in no time since people host their own sims/databases.

You do have the possibility of adding a 3rd party currency service to your own regions. I only know of two such services: OpenMetaverseCurrency and Gloebits.

I think the latter (https://gloebit.com) will not be possible on an open grid such as Osgrid because consumers have, the first time they buy something, approve the grid as a whole to be linked to their Gloebits account for taking/giving Gloebit$; and this can not be done per single region on OsGrid since the regions are not grid owned. But please correct me if I'm wrong I would be interested to know. Gloebit is in beta as far as I know and developed by an ex-Linden.

The other option, OpenMetaverseCurrency makes all transactions go through a service provided by https://www.virwox.com; and as security the consumer has to approve every inworld transaction on the website. You'd get a popup in the viewer with a VirWox weblink to login/approve whenever you buy something. The module is to be found here https://github.com/OpenMetaverseEconomy/OMEconomy-Modules where the 'master' branch holds the module for OpenSim 0.8.x and 'develop' is the module that plugs into OpenSim 0.9.x

It's always wise to be skeptic and study the terms, fees, technical implementation, and security that a 3rd party service provides; especially when it involves money.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:32 am 
Site Admin

The URL is more to show you it will be hard to get help on this, and despite it being 8 years old, its still valid. There are no " free & secure" payment systems available, and the people that developed this software advise you to reconsider.

Here is some more interesting reading, and yes, i know its from 2010, but that changes nothing to the message it has (it involves a little more than "just a module handling currency", generally). Implemening currency means you typically get to deal with ethics, taxes, rules, maintaining an administration, additional security etc. If you cannot set this up yourself, you will extremely likely end up hiring a paid consultant.

http://www.hypergridbusiness.com/2010/08/does-your-grid-need-its-own-currency/

Gloebit came out of beta 1,5 week ago, and appeareantly (for what i read on it) is able to operate on Osgrid based sims. I know nothing ofits inner workings and / or how secure it is.

http://www.hypergridbusiness.com/2016/06/gloebit-purchases-now-live-on-mobius-grid/

Anyhow. You asked for a recommendation, i'll give it again. Think twice !

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:57 pm 

thanks for your input lotex and fox
this is a very intricate subject and while our new grid is capable of doing our own currency
we do not want to, we want a 3rd party to suffer the headaches.
but at the sametime we want our residents and visitors to be able to buy and sell smoothly
and securely.
oi who to go with lolz

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:18 pm 

Deadman Walking wrote:
thanks for your input lotex and fox
this is a very intricate subject and while our new grid is capable of doing our own currency
we do not want to, we want a 3rd party to suffer the headaches.
but at the sametime we want our residents and visitors to be able to buy and sell smoothly
and securely.
oi who to go with lolz

Oh, if it's for your own grid then I suppose you could outsource currency to a 3rd party like Podex as well. Just beware only the first two options I offered (Gloebit & OMC) allow hypergrid visitors to buy something. There are now perhaps 20 grids with 20 currencies (if not a whole lot more) yet as a hypergrid visitor it's impossible to aquire or spend currency on any of those grids :D

I haven't studied the opensim sql tables in this regard and I don't know the specifics of the hypergrid protocol. But I think each hypergrid visitor becomes a lightweight 'resident' of a foreign grid on first visit with a temporary balance associated of 0L. I tested this by gifting a few L$ on an opensim grid with currency to my osgrid avi who was visiting, and have the osgrid avi buy something from a vendor inworld with those L$ (the contents where succesfully bought btw). After re-visiting that grid, the L$ balance of said osgrid avi was 0 again. So technically nothing is in the way to implementing a more global currency, just no one has interest to do it. Part of the reason is because most opensim people don't care for inworld currency. And part of the reason is because it's a legal headache/nightmare to implement this right. That's where the 3rd party services come in :)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 4:38 pm 

We'd love it if you gave Gloebit a shot. (full disclosure: I run Gloebit)

Gloebit does run on OSGrid. I attached a single region a few weeks back, enabled our Gloebit Money Module for OpenSim and was very quickly purchasing objects. I may look to bring up a more permanent OSGrid region for users to be able to test and check it out.

We have done our best to provide a plugin which will work in all of OpenSim's configurations. Our GMM can be enabled on the region or sim level, so it can be operable on only parts of the grid. It could be enabled by 15 different proprietors across OSGrid and a user could jump between them shopping and spending gloebits.

How do we achieve this? Anyone looking to enable Gloebit must create an application within their Gloebit account. This application has credentials (a key and secret) which must be input in the Gloebit.ini configuration file for each sim enabling Gloebit. This information identifies the application to us securely for all interaction. Since it is a sim level config file, another proprietor on OSGrid can bring up a region with their own configuration file and be properly identified.

What is the user experience? Upon entering a GMM enabled region, an avatar which has not yet authorized a link between that application and their individual Gloebit account will receive a request to authorize this area/application. If the user does not authorize, then they can not purchase. If they do click the link, they are brought to an authorization page on gloebit.com where they can approve linking to the app. This app (and all sims/regions with this same app configuration) can make api requests on behalf of this user. The user's gloebit balance will display for this avatar when on a GMM enabled region. The user can make purchases through the standard interface (buy object, pay user, pay object, etc) without leaving the viewer. The only time a user has to return to our website is to purchase more gloebits to spend. If the user then teleports to another OSGrid region which has the GMM enabled, but connected to a different application, the user will be asked to authorize this application. If they don't trust this region/owner, then they don't have to authorize. They will not be able to purchase in this area. In the case mentioned above, if the user authorized 10 of the 15 areas (10 one-time authorizations), they could then jump between those 10 areas spending and receiving funds in each.

Gloebit does also work for visiting/foreign hypergrid users. OpenSim effectively creates a local account for a visiting hypergrid user. That user can authorize Gloebit like any other and then spend while in one of your regions.

Gloebit works for many avatars owned by the same person. We allow many avatars/accounts on the same application to link to a single Gloebit account. This allows users to have multiple personas but have a single balance of gloebits accessible to all of them. We keep the association of these avatars anonymous.

I'll be happy to answer additional questions and help anyone with integrating our module.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]