Post subject: Grid Down ?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:57 pm 

Is the grid down ?

have not been able to log in all day

Post subject: Re: Grid Down ?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:11 pm 

Hi All.

From what i have been told.

There is an issue with the Asset Inventory Code not working properly.
Therefore logins were disabled while they fix it.
Inventory Assets were assured Safe.
This was from Dan Banner in OSGrid websites chat.
I'm sure their working as fast as possible to fix it.

This is only what was given to me, apart from that i have no idea whats going.

Adam Copper
Email: ozzmosisgm@hotmail.com
Facebook:stephen kelly (ozzmosis)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:38 am 
Site Admin

Firstly, assets service and inventory service are two completely different services. Inventory, for all practical purposes, is a link to one or more assets, in combination with permissions flags, object type, etc. Inventory is the object you encounter in the virtual world; the asset(s) are the Real World (tm) digital artifacts that decorate your virtual objects.

To be precise:

The asset service cluster has some issue that causes a deadlock of sorts, preventing ROBUST (the asset service software) from starting. This is not unusual; though the nature of the issue is. Typically, OSgrid staff are in a position to deal with asset service cluster issues. In this case, there was no prior experience with the issue so staff does not have a ready recipe for resolution.

The primary architect of the asset services cluster, Melanie Thielker, is suitably equipped to deal with the issue, and from what I understand, has seen it before. So it would not be unusual for her to fix it, at least as compared to those who generally address such issues. This is why it is said that the assets are not in danger; they are simply unavailable until such time as the cluster member deadlock has been resolved.

Unfortunately for the case of urgency, Melanie is tied up in RL with moving house. I've been told about 18 hrs ago that she'll be available to address the issue in 24-48 hrs.

So the tl;dr is, hurry up and wait if you wish, but patience will be less tedious; the assets are fine, Mel just needs to get the children to behave, so to speak.

Keep Calm and Soldier On, technical difficulties will be addressed effectively in the near term :)

Cheers
Hiro

scours the earth for prayers
The night obscures them

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:17 am 

Thank you Hiro...good to have info....and am very patient:)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:57 am 

Hi Hiro
Yes, just wanted to echo that: thank you very much for providing some information on the outage.

In the longer term, maybe some formal provision could be made for letting people know what is known about outages and their expected duration, in the spirit of sharing with the community? I have spent 2 days scouring the website, checking on and asking questions on Twitter. I finally found this forum and your post - the fruit of persistance and serendipity. It would be nice if there was an established and known point of contact for checking such things. The 'Announcements' section of this forum would seem the obvious location, or failing that a sticky 'Grid Status' section in the forum that acted as a channel for 'what we know' information?
Just my grumble dressed up as a suggestion :)

Thanks again for the info on this occassion - much appreciated sir!

Frankie.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]