Change font size
It is currently Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:13 am

Forum rules

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 1 post ]
 Post subject: Firefox Browser Users Warning re ssd wear and tear
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:48 pm 
Furious Typer

Not sure where to post this but think it sufficiently important to let others know as many now user ssds and use Firefox or Chrome

browser.sessionstore.interval

Those who use Firefox know that it has a recovery function eg if the os crashes and needs to restart manually Firefox will offer to restore your tabs. It seems like this funtion can trash ssds by writing its recovery data too frequently to the ssd. ie save the browsers state every 15 seconds. This might happen if you have lots of tabs open all the time. You all probably know that ssds only have a limited life, the cells can only be written a number of times. Those Firefox users who keep lots of tabs open can easily have it write to the ssd mb or gb a day. The default setting is 15000 milleseconds ie every 15 seconds. Users are advised to increase this. Me. I have about 20+ tabs open all the time :oops: and this desk top is on all the day :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: I had been wondering why a new ssd had gone down to 99% life left so quickly

How to do this

in the url bar type about:config

search for browser.sessionstore.interval

increase the interval to atleast 150000. ( add a 0 )

The researcher who found this out changed his to 30 minutes. ( add 00)

then close the tab. probably a good idea to restart the browser

Seems like it is not just Firefox that does this but also Googles Chrome ( so dont get smug Google the reserachers found a particular case was writing 24gb aday :shock: ) No soln for Google is known as of this post

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 1 post ]