Change font size
It is currently Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:04 pm

Forum rules

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 12 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: export from blender to OSGrid
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:06 pm 

So i found some really cool obj files and 3dx files and imported them into blender then after finding a script on the net where you can export as a xml file it saves fine but only problem is when i try to import the xml into osgrid the program crashes.

so has anyone here exported a blender file to xml and imported it to osgrid? and can you tell me the exact way to do it so my program wont crash. Also i noticed that the xml file code is different then the xml file you see if you backup a object in secondlife and import it to osgrid.

Post subject: Re: export from blender to OSGrid
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:54 pm 
OSG Elite

I think (Not a blender expert here) The best way is to save the files you have as *.dea (Or *.dae, one of those!) and upload them to OSGrid with a mesh compatible viewer.

As far as I know, only two things can be imported from blender: Sculpties (generated with some third party plugins) and Mesh (dea/dae) files.

Hope this helps.

Odd.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:57 pm 
OSG Elite

I believe the files need to be converted to colada type .dae files using Maya or 3dMax before uploading as mesh using the right viewer. I dont know if Blender does this, Neb is becoming a Blender wizz, maybe he will chime in here.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:59 pm 
OSG Elite

Hi Oddy, didnt see your post when I posted mine :) you beat me while I was typing.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:07 pm 
OSG Elite

He :)

Blender can export .dae files.
More about mesh & blender here: http://blog.machinimatrix.org/3d-creati ... /meshes-i/
More about Sculpties & blender here: http://blog.machinimatrix.org/3d-creati ... sculpties/

Have fun and be creative!!

Odd

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:03 am 
Furious Typer

As of 2/2012, which viewer is working best for mesh uploads?

I am finding Cool VL 1.26.3 has mesh upload grayed out.

I find Dolphin3 3.2.7 (23154) goes to calculate Land Impact and never returns, so Upload in the model upload panel remains grayed out.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:52 pm 
OSG Elite

I use the official SL V3 viewer for uploading mesh models, it's the most stable for uploading mesh models. (link: https://secondlife.com/beta-viewer/)

latest Firestorm works most of the time. (link: http://www.phoenixviewer.com/)

If the models are too big, most of the time the upload fails while calculating (for me at least)

Hope this helps,

Odd

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:23 pm 
Site Admin

You could also try relogging and trying again if everything hangs forever on calculate. Test with a simple cube or something that's previously uploaded for you to see if relog is in order.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:36 pm 
Furious Typer

but nobody answered his original query. I've seen the xml formats as well, and until mesh is factored into the imp, we're basically relegated to the importing of xml types. This is the question ..
how do we export an item created in Blender as an xml for use in either osgrid or opensimulator.
If not Blender, what program does this that Blender can export to for conversion.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:53 am 
Site Admin

Matt CMPNetwork wrote:
so has anyone here exported a blender file to xml and imported it to osgrid? and can you tell me the exact way to do it so my program wont crash. Also i noticed that the xml file code is different then the xml file you see if you backup a object in secondlife and import it to osgrid.

Matt pretty much answered his own question, the xml code that Blender exports is not the same thing that is used for backup from certain viewers like Imprudence.

If you are importing obj and other formats into Blender for use in Opensim or SL worlds, you can only export as sculpty or Collada (.dae).

Converting to sculpty from other formats can be very difficult or even impossible as sculpties have a very specific format regarding the number of vertices and faces.
Converting to mesh from obj or other formats is generally much easier, sometimes all you need to do is import into Blender, convert to mesh, then export as Collada.

The xml format usable in SL or Opensim must have been created in the viewers that support xml export, that is the only way as far as I know.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 12 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next