Change font size
It is currently Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:04 pm

Forum rules

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 4   [ 31 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Terraformer's help requested for a 4x4 var-region
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:41 pm 
Furious Typer

I'm trying to create a medieval scene, I have all the builds but I suck at terraforming, I created a 4x4 var-region specifically for that scene, the region would need to have 2 mountains on the SW corner with a castle on the top of the last mountain, slightly embedded into the rocks, along with valleys, rivers, some lakes, forests, rolling hills, etc etc, I do have a castle, but it's in a rez box, which I'll set out as free to copy on the SW corner center at 128,128, so that it can be placed on the mountain top, the mountain would also need to have paths going from a drawbridge which would be between 2 mountains, down the first mountain to the rest of the scenery.

This could be a real challenge.

The region to look for is called Knavesmire

Thanks in advance to anyone that takes up the challenge.

Post subject: Re: Terraformer's help requested for a 4x4 var-region
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:34 am 
Furious Typer

Marlon,

All that on just a 1sq km island? What scale are your buildings?

There is no trick to terraforming. But making a good heightmap is simple. :)

Start with a greyscale image using the GIMP. Black is 0, white is 100, as a color value in your image, and as a height in the sim. While a default sim uses a water height of 20, in your greyscale image, this equates to the hue, or a grey value, of 16. This represents sea level, so plan beaches, harbors, docks and such at this level. Any value of grey above 16 represents a 1 meter increment of height in the sim, up to 100 meters. You want to avoid, as a rule, sudden changes in the height within the sim, so shades of grey one or two hues, (grey value), at a time.

Once you've drawn outlines, you can use brushes to go back and rid yourself of the dreaded contour lines.
Smudging the edges of each grey value drawn provides a nice touch of realism to changes of elevation. Applying noise to this work of art provides the organic chaos of life to work a miracle of a terrain.

Give it a try, or..... I'm sure one of us will pick up the challenge. How much do you pay :lol: :roll: ;)

Whip up a basic outline of where you want the highlights you speak of, even if simple black and white sketch.

Shad

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:20 pm 
Furious Typer

Shad

All that is not on 1 region, only the castle with 2 mountains is in the SW corner, the rest would be on the rest of the var-region of 2x2 (x=1024, y=1024) 4x256, or would have been (using none-var) 4 individual regions, but now, the region is 1024x1024 instead of 256x256.

I don't know what 1sqr Km is, but I use imperial measures, miles, feet, inches, none of this European crap lol :)

I tried many, many times even in SL to terraform to how I want the land, but I fail every time, so that's why I ask someone who has the experience if they can do it.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 2:14 pm 
Furious Typer

Marlon,

OK, so now I'm a bit confused.

You want the castle in the sw corner, rivers, lakes and valleys. Your var region is a 4x4, is that correct? A 4x4 var region consists of 16 256x256 regions lumped together. That totals a little over 1 square kilometer.

I use imperial measures also, in the real world. Happens up here in the pacific northwest. But for the simulator, I've learned to use metric, since that is unit of measurement used in the sim. Anywho.....

Also, are you looking for a mesh terrain, or will a stock sim heightmap do?

And again, can you sketch out simple details?

Shad

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:16 am 
Furious Typer

Marlon,

Here is a heightmap for a 4x4 var region, 1024x1024.

Adjustments can be tailored.

Shad

Attachments:
OSGRID-MarlonWulluf_1024x1024_v02.png
OSGRID-MarlonWulluf_1024x1024_v02.png [ 149.38 KiB | Viewed 4864 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:55 pm 
Furious Typer

Shad MOrdre wrote:
Marlon,

OK, so now I'm a bit confused.

You want the castle in the sw corner, rivers, lakes and valleys.

Shad

On the SW corner is the castle itself on a mountain with a few trees,,, the rivers, lakes, rolling hills, forests, etc etc go on the rest of the var-region, the mountain on the SW corner connects via drawbridge to another mountain (with trees dotted all over it), with a road way descending to the forests below it.

I'm not very good at freehand sketching lol, but I'll try to create something on paper, then scan it and upload it here.

I saw the heightmap you posted, and I'll try it, and see what it looks like.

You asked if I wanted/preferred mesh terrain or standard heightmap?, I haven't seen a mesh terrain to compare it to a stock heightmap.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:54 am 
Furious Typer

Shad

The heightmap you posted did the trick, the castle fitted great, and now all I need to do is to find a way to populate the rest of the region with trees, and being it's 4x4, it's gonna take years lol, I also want to find an arched portcullis, 1 for each end of the roadway.

The attached image (viewer snapshot seems to squash the image), shows how it looks with the castle already at the SW corner (upper right). Image was taken with viewer visual range to 1024 and zoomed out as far as I can go without making the region vanish.

Is there a way to use the tree module to populate only a certain area with 1 kind of tree, and another area with a different kind of tree, etc etc, but leaving other areas for manual planting of trees like willows for the edge of rivers?

Looking at the image, from the castle, across the river to the first point, is where I want to put a dirt road way, and have an arched portcullis on both sides, to join the castle to the mainland.

The semi arched waters edge, I want to put a shipping town there, with large sailing ships, docks, etc etc, and on some of those high hills, put some forests with villages, etc etc, along with various towns/villages along the flat areas, with some of the towns having rivers passing through them.

Attachments:
Snapshot _ Castle Knavesmire, Knavesmire (204, 154, 36) - Gener.png
Snapshot _ Castle Knavesmire, Knavesmire (204, 154, 36) - Gener.png [ 326.62 KiB | Viewed 4818 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:41 pm 
Furious Typer

As far as trees go, I've always preferred to use an inworld tree, either mesh or sculptie. The trees I've used are essentially a two sculptie creation. One is a tree trunk sculptie from Linda Kelly, and the other is a star type sculptie that is used for the foilage of the tree. Linda Kelly trees are modifiable, thus opening up many possibilities based on personal tastes.

When placing these trees, I place them randomly over an area, and then copy/paste them as a group, changing their z-rotation to avoid it looking like I just copied/pasted them. You only see those type of patterns at a zoomed out level anyway. This also allows me to quickly define "biomes", where either elevation, location, or other weather type factors define the types of flora and fauna

I did this in a var region of this size and got amazing results rather quickly. The region has over 500 trees, and I find I get better performance using this method over that of the default trees module.

As for the portcullis, build one. There is a sliding door script out there that is easy to modify. It's, again, what I do in the region I built.

I'd like to see what you do with this. :)

Shad

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:31 pm 
Furious Typer

So far I have this:-

Attachment:
Castle-trees-huts-and-bridge_001.png
Castle-trees-huts-and-bridge_001.png [ 1.15 MiB | Viewed 4788 times ]

But if you want to have a go at adding some stuff, by all means have at it, I can't seem to get the roads looking good though (looking at the image) from the bridge up to the flat part just below and to the right of the castle, this is where the stables and coach house is to be put, then some sort of dirt track leading up to the castle, in line with the front of the castle steps and down to the flat part, and maybe a fishing village around the right of the castle, at the waters edge, but I don't have the textures, or the know-how on building medieval stuff.

I forgot,lol,,, the sim is called Knavesmire

ADDENDUM
After experiencing major screwups with version 9 of opensim, I've decided to close down all regions that use ubOde, and revert back to 8.0 using bulletsim, until v9 has been fixed, at least I know v8 worked, and currently v8 is the better of the 2.

Well I guess reverting is out of the question,,, THANK YOU!!!!!! Melanie T for screwing up the only way to revert if something don't work, yes, she made it impossible to revert, due to DB changes, sooo the only re-course is now to completely shut down my servers for about a month or 2 until this new version 0.9 has been fixed.

If anyone wants to use my spaces on the grid go ahead, I'll just shuffle around til I find new empty spaces.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:16 am 
Furious Typer

Marlon,

Why not just take OAR and IAR backups from your v9.0 sims and plug them into a v8.0 replacement sim? This is the absolute BEST way to preserve regions. I have not ever even attempted to backup and restore the databases used for any of my sims. The reasons being that a 1 to 2 GB MySQL database really doesn't lend itself well to being backed up and restored. This is due to the large sizes of some assets.

I have very successfully used OAR, IAR and XML backups, for getting assets and inventory out of a sim, and into another. This is how I've performed all sim upgrades dating back to v0.6.7, which is WAY old at this point. I also don't upgrade to the latest greatest release of anything. That's just not a practical way of doing anything in life.

So tell me, is OSGrid driving your desire to run v9.0? Is running v9.0 a requirement to attaching a sim to OSGrid. In previous versions, while OSGrid ran the latest dev code, many sim were still connected to the grid with previous versions. Are you unable to attach a v8.0 sim to OSGrid?

In other discussions I've had with OSGrid residents, I was led to believe that Melanie Ts modifications to the database code were optional, not mandatory. I prefer using MySQL, realizing that any disk based storage options were not going to be the best, without using a better database structure, or a complete rethinking of the database code. But this does get beyond our current topic.

Rather than build in OSGrid, as I've suggested before, create a local, private grid or standalone. Use this to build out a given region, back it up to OAR, and then you can take a completed region anywhere, to any version, and the backend system becomes largely irrelevant.

Shad

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 4   [ 31 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next