Change font size
It is currently Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:35 pm

Forum rules

{L_IMAGE}
. please keep questions related to an OpenSimulator and OSgrid nature.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]
 Post subject: Hangs on waiting for handshake
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:47 am 
Furious Typer

OK, I'm using OpenSuSe 42.1 (in cli mode, with no GUI, only being accessed locally using PuTTy SSH) with all the current updates, the server is using a static LAN IP, and ports 9000 to 9010 are open both ways in TCP and UDP in the server firewall and allowed both ways also UDP and TCP in the router port forwarding, I am using a dynamic DNS host name at no-ip, and everything works great, no console errors, the console shows the region prompt, I tested the ports using grc.com shields up port scanner and it showed ports 9000-9010 open, I then issued http://dynDNS-name:9000 in my browser and got the hippo warning so that worked fine, so I preceded to directly login to my region, using firestorm, which the region console shows the login request, and after Firestorm showed the usual bits and pieces working up to region handshake, it hung on 'Waiting for region handshake', then it popped up 'can not connect to region', etc etc etc. I even tried (via the router) putting the server on the DMZ and only relying on the server firewall, but to no avail, still hangs on 'Waiting for region handshake', I even disabled the server firewall, and still hangs 'Waiting for region handshake', is there any other port(s) that need to be opened?

Post subject: Re: Hangs on waiting for handshake
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:30 pm 
Site Admin

The hippo "ooops" message indicates the tcp part of the simulator is reachable but "waiting for region handshake" occurs on the udp port which would seem to be the issue in this case.

dan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:34 am 
Furious Typer

And seeing that UDP is a one shot thing, UDP testing is impossible, unlike TCP which can be probed to see if the port using it is open, UDP can't, so there's no way of knowing if UDP packets are ever seen on a port.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:55 pm 
Furious Typer

My standalone needs ports 8002 and 8003 open as PublicPort and PrivatePort in OpenSim.ini. You have not said if you are standalone, gridded or grid.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:50 pm 
Furious Typer

The regions are connected to OSGrid.

All I did was download the newest version from this site, then created a new database (mysql), then configured mysql access by un-commenting the relevant lines and setting the DB name, username and password, via the GridCommon.ini file, commented the sql lines, and left other ini's as is, which would then connect my region(s) to OSGrid, as I mentioned earlier ports 9000-9010 TCP and UDP are open both ways in the server firewall and the router, and a port scan shows only port 9000 as open (only 1 region running), an 'Oooops hippo' test worked fine, direct region login via Firestorm shows the login successful in the region console, but it's the region handshake that fails, I even disabled the server firewall, and put the server on a DMZ in the router, and still no handshake.

What I need to do is to test to see if there's any UDP packets actually getting through on port 9000,,,,TCP is easy, but googling for testing UDP, everyone says it's not possible to scan for UDP packets on a given port.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:50 pm 
Furious Typer

Well, I don't know what happened,but it worked after I decided to completely re-format my server, and re-install Ubuntu server, and only install these packages:-

ssh-server
mono-complete
mysql-server
webmin

After assigning a static LAN IP to the server and rebooted, I then unzipped the opensim zipped file I downloaded from the OSGrid downloads using wget, then re-configured the GridCommon.ini for mysql, and disabled the lines for sql, created a new mysql database, then proceeded to run mono OpenSim.exe in the bin folder, waited for everything to finish (no errors), then I created a new region, assigned my dynDNS host name, and port, (no changes to router port forwarding) along with the grid location, and my user name for that region, and when the region prompt appeared, I then attempted to directly login to my new region, and lo and behold, it was successful, no waiting on the handshake, sooo I really don't know what happened.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]