Change font size
It is currently Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:10 pm

Forum rules

{L_IMAGE}
. please keep questions related to an OpenSimulator and OSgrid nature.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 2 posts ]
 Post subject: Is there an actual theoretical limit to how many sims?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:45 pm 

This question is focused on a private OpenSimulator based grid for my own private usage. I alone will have access to it.

My question is, is there a limit to how many simulators I can have going at the same time before it crashes or takes up too many resources.
These simulators would have content inside of it building object wise. No mesh and very few scripts, except for some basics like rotation scripts or maybe a text script here and there.

I have a project that could involve 1000-2000 simulators, as well as another project that could be larger.
If I am the only one who would be logging in, can I run all these simulators with builds in them?

Post subject: Re: Is there an actual theoretical limit to how many sims?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:39 am 
Site Admin

To the best of my knowledge Opensim doesn't have hard coded limits on how much you can run / stuff in 1 simulator, or how many of those you can install. This is fully dependent on the physical limits of your hardware / databases / available ports in the network.

2000 simulators is not a biggy for a grid, But with 120-300Mb overhead per simulator, you'd need quite a bit of RAM and multiple machines to be able to run them all yourself.
I know users that have six 8x8 VAR regions on a single machine, but i doubt that performs real well if set under any load.
I would in any case recommend to start with a very beefy SQL server, as a couple of thousand SQL-lite instances won't make you very happy in such setup.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 2 posts ]