Change font size
It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:22 pm

Forum rules

{L_IMAGE}
. please keep questions related to an OpenSimulator and OSgrid nature.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]
 Post subject: Another NAT Loopback Complaint
PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:44 pm 

I've read all I could find about NAT loopback but am still looking for a solution:

I'm using a Bell Home Hub 1000 router. Ethernet attached I have a Windows 10 PC and a Ubuntu box. The Ubuntu box hosts my 3 sims.

I can get to my sims from a PC attached to a different router with no problems, but when I try to log on from my Win 10 PC, get stuck at "waiting for region handshake". Sounds like a loopback issue, doesn't it?

I found detailed instructions on how to install the MS Loopback adapter and successfully installed it and set my external IP address as required. Nothing changed.

Any advice? Also, is there a way i can use my internal IP address to get around this?

Post subject: Re: Another NAT Loopback Complaint
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:05 am 
Site Admin

Hi, I believe the ms loopback adapter will only work when the simulator and viewer are on the same pc. Its possible someone knows a way to work around this limitation. Alternatively, short of buying a better router, you could use a vpn from the windows pc to connect to your sim.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:23 am 
OSG Elite

I was thinking about dumping my crap dsl and getting a Telus smart hub, much the same as your Bell Home Hub, and that's the reason I haven't. Can't even bridge mode them.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:14 pm 

Good call on the limitations of the loopback adapter. That makes sense.

Unfortunately I'm stuck with the router Bell Canada supplies me with. I'd love to get something better.

I activated PIA on my windows PC, but that didn't help.

Guess I'm stuck to using my phone's hot-spot feature and connecting to my sim from my laptop.

Thanks for the thoughts.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:16 am 
Site Admin

Mind that the NAT loopback adapter indeed only works when the viewer is on the same machine as the simulator. Any other device in the local network can't "loopback" as it has to traverse the router, and that is just the device that doesn't support it in the 1st place.

Also it is REQUIRED to put the local IP in regions.ini to 0.0.0.0 (This uses the active network adapter, rather than the fixxed IP). If you forget to set this, the connection will fail.
the guide for win10 is found here : http://wiki.osgrid.org/index.php/Nat_Loopback

For the rest this setup requires the same port forwarding and firewall config as any other simulator. If you want me to take a look at your config, find me inworld.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:09 am 
Furious Typer

This is important for NAT loopback supported routers.

Currently there is no company that makes routers that have NAT loopback support, it's considered a security risk and has been stopped, and never use the hosts file as I'll explain this further down, but as for NAT loopback routers, they are a MUST for accessing any opensim region from within a LAN, either using an external IP address or a dynamic DNS service. If outside access is wanted then a dynamic DNS service is a must too.

Now for the hosts file.

I say to never use the hosts file because using this only works if the opensim regions are running on the same PC as the viewer if using localhost (127.0.0.1), yes a host name can be used in a hosts file to point to another server on the LAN, but using the hosts file does not mean, 'just because you can connect locally, that anyone else can connect remotely', that's why the best practice is to get an older router that has NAT loopback, I use a Gamers Lounge, dual band router with custom firmware, that does allow NAT loopback, and also I use a dynamic DNS service and client, and I run my opensim regions on a Linux box and use a desktop PC to run Firestorm and I can login to my regions as well as others from outside the LAN can too.

Other older routers such as Netgear and D-Link have routers with NAT loopback, but newer models of today's routers don't. Some routers have telnet access to their operating system and allows the user to directly write iptable rules, but, doing that doesn't survive a power down and they have to be re-written every time the router has powered down.

I have an instruction post detailing how to do that with the Actiontec GT701-WG DSL modem/router but it could be used on other routers, at:-

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2283&p=12675

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:47 am 

After living with this problem for years I've finally found a simple solution:

I've subscribed to NordVPN. I tried this with another VPN before without success, but when I activate NordVPN, the loopback problem is gone!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:34 am 
Site Admin

Yes, a VPN encapsulates your traffic and makes it appear to come from a different public IP, rather than the internal IP address which is currently resetting your connection at login.

So a VPN is a good workaround, IF you get sufficient bandwith. Since it encypts all traffic, it can have some impact on overall performance. The real downside it that most of those services have returning monthly / annual costst, whilst a compatible router is a 1 time investment. However, if it works, does what you need, and your happy, just keep it as it is.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]