Change font size
It is currently Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:20 am

Forum rules

{L_IMAGE}
Keep the training material related in some way to OSGrid and OpenSIM or tools that you would use externally to opensim such as image editors and database tools etc... but ultimately the material presented benefits OpenSIM and OSGrid.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]
 Post subject: OpenSim Easy User Guide
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:41 pm 
Site Admin

Here is an interesting Opensim tutorial i found on google.

http://opensimuser.wordpress.com/2008/0 ... -tutorial/

Neb :ugeek:

Post subject: Re: OpenSim Easy User Guide
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:30 am 

It is a handy guide, which I followed through to work out how to build from source after I found all the binaries I downloaded crashed on start and wanted to tell Microsoft how unhappy they were.

It was fine up until the configuration of opensim.ini, where it is no longer up to date with the current changes (post 99xx) where the INI files split up into main and grid/standalones. I went back to an earlier release which conformed to the guide and managed to get a standalone running exactly as they described. But I was lost with the 9952 onwards releases, despite other people on the forums posting thier solutions.

I persevered with the ini files, and still was not able to get a standalone version later then 0.5.1 post-fixes running, even after switching from SQLlite to Mysql.

Finally, I was told how to work round the loopback issue with client and server on two separate machines on the same LAN without having to get a DYNDNS account or faf around port-forwarding on my router.

I then worked backwards, having got my system running on MySQL, to find that even with the loopback workaround, SQLlite will not work in the 9952 and upwards issues.

Useful though that guide might have been, the fact that it was out of date with respect to recent changes made it no real help at all for me after managing to build the releases.

All in all, I spent an entire week trying to get the latest (0.6.6) version running on a standalone. I could have stuck with 5.1 post-fix, of course, and waited for somebody else to sort out how to get 6.6 running. I wonder how many other people have come along to have a look at Opensim and drifted off in confusion?

After the discussions in LBSA plaza this morning, I understand that a user-guide is to be produced to help both newcomers and existing users get up and running with the newer releases. Good news, but why where the problems not detected earlier, at the pre-release stage?

Don't take my post the wrong way, I am not knocking OpenSim or OSGrid at all, just pointing out that your main inrush of newcomers that you want to make all those green dots start showing up on the map are not likely to be willing to lose a week of their lives to log in and find themselves Ruth on a desert island.

I think that a useful pre-release test for any major version coming out would be for somebody to take it and build a standalone sim from cold, (no previous MySQL database), to ensure that a new user can start from either binaries or source, no need to download MySQL or go out and buy loopback-enabled routers, and get to Ruth standing on a dome of land in a rolling blue ocean in a reasonable space of time. If problems are discovered, such as SQLite not working, then at the very least a readme could be packaged with the release to tell people they need MySQL. Otherwise, I see lots of potential OSG users just walking away and waiting until somebody sells them an out-of-the-box solution, or just going back to Linden.

A subsequent test, looking at some of the other posts, is to make sure that the newly-built standalone upgrades an existing standalone without losing all the existing data.

I am happy to volunteer to do pre-release testing on Windows XP 32-bit to see if a release candidate can create a fresh standalone, but I am not sure exactly who I should approach to offer this service to. Answers on a notecard, please :)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:03 pm 

Thanks Neb! A fresh checkout into a new folder, moved my region files, and .ini files ... recompile and:

I am running on v.10035!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:26 am 

This is exactly what happens. Five of my friends tried to set up a region and struggled and the absence of any comprehensive guide or instruction sent them running straight back to Second Life. :cry:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:30 pm 
Furious Typer

The link in the OP I think is dated some what:

New Updated as of 2010
http://opensimuser.wordpress.com/2010/03/05/updated-opensim-install-and-configuration-tutorial/

mySQL as of 2010
http://opensimuser.wordpress.com/2010/03/04/updated-mysql-installation-guide/

The link in the OP does point to the old blog, which it's self has these new links, but the OP should still be edited.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:55 am 
Furious Typer

I for one have a huge amount of respect and admiration for anyone succeeding in setting up a standalone Sim. Just looking at the instructions at the main OS page adds few white hair to my head and gives me a bad case of the hiccups ... lol

Yes, I am guilty of not even trying because I get confused right away and it scares me.

But I am not going back to Linden. No way. I'm not giving up the freedom I feel when in OS and that is that. Believe me, I do not miss any of the asinine set of permissions for any little thing over there. I do go there once in a while to be with Snow, my Unicorn and Fluffy, my cat. One day, I will find a way to animate them in OS though and that will be that for SL.

I'm renting 2 Sims because I love building so much and am always curious as to how far I can go in learning new things, like working with some of the scripts supplied here at the OS forum by all you that know about scripting. One Sim is my Elfen Art Gallery and the other Sim is my Elfen Home. I could not afford these in SL, so I am grateful to have found the Hosts where I am now.

Would I like to stop renting? ... Yes and I do hope one day, someone will come up with a set of instructions easy enough to understand for people like me :)

But in the meantime, no way am I giving up on OS.

Thank you to all of you that made OS possible :)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:34 am 
Furious Typer

If I was not so darn shy, I would ask someone's help in removing both feet from my mouth.

I actually tried this tut and now I'm there beaming at my little round island on my very own Standalone.

Wow, I can't believe this. I actually did this ... wooo hooo

If I did this? ... gawd ... anyone can ... lol

So thank you Neb for the site :)

Selea

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 9:20 am 

Yes a easy guide would be great,so you can get something running at home.
If posible with only local permissions,so no outside can get in.
Would give a noob (as me) a start and build/learn from there.
i use ubuntu 12.04 now GeForce 8500 GT video 4GB ram.
And back to SL never ! Is to slow there.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 9:31 am 
OSG Elite

jerryjer Jewell {L_WROTE}:
Yes a easy guide would be great,so you can get something running at home.
If posible with only local permissions,so no outside can get in.
Would give a noob (as me) a start and build/learn from there.
i use ubuntu 12.04 now GeForce 8500 GT video 4GB ram.
And back to SL never ! Is to slow there.

You should try Sim on a Stick which does what you want.
http://simonastick.com/

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]