Change font size
It is currently Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:20 pm

Forum rules

{L_IMAGE}
Keep the training material related in some way to OSGrid and OpenSIM or tools that you would use externally to opensim such as image editors and database tools etc... but ultimately the material presented benefits OpenSIM and OSGrid.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 9   [ 83 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Guide for OpenSim on a VPS virtual private server for OSGrid
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:01 am 
OSG Elite

Bo,
you make an interesting point about dedicated server verses VPS, and it is a valid point but price has always been a barrier, I have never seen rates like those quoted on Kimsufi, 40 euro for 16 Gig, is that ram?? you have got me rethinking here. Gotta be the best price Dedicated I've seen, thanks for the link

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:09 am 
OSG Elite

Yeah that is OVH. It makes VPS obsolete ;) Only you need is find OVH in your country. That IE is for US. We have their profi server( http://www.ovh.ie/products/superplan_best_of.xml ) and it runs smoothly.

That kimsufi means (it is enough for me) so it has no RAID1 and also it has slower service (4 instead of 1 hour) but it seems to be ok for Opensim..

Bo

PS: if you doubt why the price is so low watch this : http://video.ovh.net/rbx4/videoRbx4EnSubs.m4v

PS2: i am not their employe, i just want people use good servers on OSG cus it makes OSG better for us all!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:15 am 
OSG Elite

OK I following the tut posted by Us Vemo, I was able to secure a 4G server at 100MB connection for $15 a month, configured Ubuntu 10.4 and its requirements, set up MySql database, configure and run Opensim and connect a region to OSGrid and log in, WOOT it took me a little bit longer than 1 hour because I am a Linux noob so this was new ground for me.
Great tutorial, nothing missing, nothing too confusing or superfluous, Thank you.

I have taken it a bit further by configuring ROBUST and setting up a private grid and creating regions and users on that, and I have one question.....
:?: Using putty as my remote terminal service, how do I re-connect to an existing service which is already running on my VPS? I can start a new service but I cant open robust for example if its already running, and I cant open Opensim if its already running.
I need to be able to shut down my home computer, and leave the VPS services running, and reconnect again tomorrow.
Thanks
Cam

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:08 am 

Cam... I am just writing a blog post about that, it will be online in 1 hour...
But if you are impatient i will point you in one of the possible directions as there are a few different methods and I am sure others will tell you about their favorites.

The easiest one is called screen.

Just type screen and you get a special kind of terminal window. When you want to log of the server type ctrl-a d (ctrl only with the a not the d). Then the screen session is there in the background even if you log of the server.

Next time you log on you type screen -r for n to the old terminal session. Works like magic!

(Maybe you have to install screen first.... you know how to do that now. sudo apt-get install screen)
Bon chance!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:39 pm 
OSG Elite

Void, thank you for that, Screen works well once I figured it all out.
Now spending time going right through your blog, its all good, can I suggest a new subject? how to set up fileZilla (or some FTP system) on the VPS because now I want to import OARs IARs and stuff, I will do the Google shuffle and figure it out, but your tuts are easy to follow and save heaps of time, so I will be looking out for that.
More power to you
Cam

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:26 am 

Good idea Cam.... I will try to find the time today for that....
Good luck with your grid... please send me a Hypergrid landmark when you are ready for visitors... ;o)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:32 am 
OSG Elite

Yes please do, I have been googling all day and cant seem to find much at all about this, and #linux irc wont let me talk.
Funny thing is, I have downloaded filezilla (apt-get install) yet I cant see it using "ls" or "dir" all I can see is opensim, not that that would help until I know what commands to use.
Really need some help when you get up to it.
Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:17 am 
Furious Typer

Cam Chevalier {L_WROTE}:
Yes please do, I have been googling all day and cant seem to find much at all about this, and #linux irc wont let me talk.
Funny thing is, I have downloaded filezilla (apt-get install) yet I cant see it using "ls" or "dir" all I can see is opensim, not that that would help until I know what commands to use.
Really need some help when you get up to it.
Thanks

Hi Cam,

I'm uncertain following your conversation here - but are you running filezilla on a remote VPS? Or are you running it on a local graphic interface like Ubuntu with Gnome / KDE?

filezilla needs gtk support (graphical support) to run - so it is not going to be something you will want to use for ftp while using virtualization / remote server.

Also on a side note, most anything you install using apt-get you can think of as running 'setup' with windows - the program is installed into a preset directory and is now available as a command in your system. Instead of C:\Program Files\Program Name it is something along the lines of /usr/local/bin/program name

All you should have to do is type in the program's name at a bash prompt now and use it.
i.e.
myname@srv1:~# nano

Although a bit cluncky, the built in ftp most linux distros come with works great which is simply 'ftp'

I'm betting Void will have a great tut on something though so I will leave that part alone for now so I don't confuse anyone just in case :D

Take care,
- Hap

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:01 am 
OSG Elite

Haplo Voss {L_WROTE}:
filezilla needs gtk support (graphical support) to run - so it is not going to be something you will want to use for ftp while using virtualization / remote server.

Thanks for clearing that up.
Yes it seems you do understand what I am attempting to do, filezilla was my idea because I thought it would be a linux choice being open source and all that, but I was mistaken, and it seems my Ubuntu has its own built in FTP, so much the better.
So I typed ftp and it does give me a ftp prompt, but as I figured, its not so intuitive, I dont know how to set it up, I will need a tut to get thru this.
Btw Haplo, I am running Windows at home and connecting to ubuntu VPS via putty, which is terminal only, and because I am new to linux, I need a bit of spoonfeeding to get the ftp going, I have filezilla client on my home Windows and have used it quite a bit but never with linux.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:16 am 

Have faith, Cam! I have written a short guide and will post it on the blog when I get home in about 2 hours...

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 9   [ 83 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next