Change font size
It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:43 am

Forum rules

{L_IMAGE}
Keep the training material related in some way to OSGrid and OpenSIM or tools that you would use externally to opensim such as image editors and database tools etc... but ultimately the material presented benefits OpenSIM and OSGrid.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 3 of 9   [ 83 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Guide for OpenSim on a VPS virtual private server for OSGrid
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:38 pm 
Furious Typer

You'll be all set no worries Cam. :) Sounds like Void will have it all laid out too.

Also, it sounds like you have the same setup as I do overall. My main Windows testing system default boot is Win 7 at home. I use Putty to login to my Ubuntu VPS from it.

I use Screen for multi sessions so Opensim doesn't 'go down' if the terminal does, plus you can use a monitor script to auto-restart opensim if it crashes which is nice.

Once you get used to the commands and references - it's addictive how fast and smooth everything runs. You'll love it!

Take care,
- Hap

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:29 pm 

I posted the FTP guide now... http://wp.me/17vD1 sorry for the delay...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:17 am 
OSG Elite

Void,
Please dont apologize, the info you provide is worth waiting for, I couldnt believe how easy the ftp turned out to be, its working great now thanks. (I never lost faith :) )
Haplo, yes sounds much the same as mine, I will have to find this monitor script you mentioned, I believe I have heard of it before, but being Windows only in the past I have generally overlooked much of the linux talk, I guess I will have to go back over 2 or 3 years worth of talk so I dont have people repeating what has already been said.
I will post the login details when I have uploaded all my content (gonna take a while)
Cheers

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:39 am 

In a few day I will post a guide about monitor.... but I have a few other this that I need to write about first.
Void

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:28 pm 
OSG Elite

Hi all!

I am too renting a vps for my sims (Search map for Guitar museum!), am a total linux, putty, shell thingies noob, but got it up and running pretty easy!

I just jumped in, tried a few tutorials here and there. I thought I could give it a try for that kind of money:)
Glad I did that, a vps is better then a home grown sim, always up, stable, no 'loopback' troubles (have a network with 2 pc's, one laptop, a tablet and a Playstation 3 here!)

In my humble opinion: A vps is worth every cent of it!

Just my 2 (freebie)OS$

Oddy.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:58 am 
OSG Elite

Hey Void
Are you still going to do a tutorial an Monit for opensim? I hope so, I have been holding off running my VPS until I get this part going because of the overload issues I was having after only one day of running, They threatened to shut me down permanently if I do it again so I am to scared to run it without constant monitoring, Looking forward to your good work.
Thanks again
Cam

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:26 am 

Yes I am Cam.... I have written most of it and hope to post it to the blog soon.
I have tried to eliminate all but the really important things to make it as easy as possible.

I will do some testing tomorrow to take some screen shots and then hopefully be ready...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:34 am 
OSG Elite

/me Paces room, taps foot, looks at watch, waits patiently.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:31 am 
OSG Elite

Cam Chevalier {L_WROTE}:
/me Paces room, taps foot, looks at watch, waits patiently.

/me too.....
:)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:20 am 
OSG Elite

I seriously fear something has happened to Void Pipe / Us Vemo because he was so reliable and he was about to post another tutorial and suddenly he has gone quiet, I hope he is ok,
Meantime I know I am not the only one waiting for a user friendly tutorial for setting up monit on remote/linux, I did get some help from Bo but was unable to complete the system because his setup is so different from mine and I cant transpose (thanks for your time Bo).

I now ask if anyone can please draft up a simple to follow, step by step set of instructions for the setting up and configuring of monit baring in mind a lot of us have been following the prepping from this blog http://usvemo.wordpress.com/2011/08/26/vps-for-opensim-on-osgrid-part-3-installation/ .

Now the accepted guide http://coyled.com/2010/07/07/monit-and-opensim/ whilst probably complete and accurate is not noob friendly and not what you would call a tutorial, the only other instruction I can find is this http://snoopypfeffer.wordpress.com/2009/05/09/opensim-service-management/ which seems very informative if you speak the language, both of these instructions assume a level of prior understanding of Linux. Void Pipe has managed to write a tutorial which enables any windows head to set up a fully functioning linux simulator, with mysql, on remote vps no less, I hope we can find someone who is prepared to go to the same effort for monit.
I have been waiting for a month now and Void has been missing for 2 weeks, I have spent 4 days trying different ways but some areas just arent clear to me. For those of you who may ask "which bit dont you understand?" lets just say expressions like "setting it to whatever you desire" and "whatever's appropriate for your system" and "wherever you keep such things" are not really helpful to a noob.
Many thanks in advance.
Cam

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 3 of 9   [ 83 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next