Change font size
It is currently Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:09 am

Forum rules

{L_IMAGE}
Keep the training material related in some way to OSGrid and OpenSIM or tools that you would use externally to opensim such as image editors and database tools etc... but ultimately the material presented benefits OpenSIM and OSGrid.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]
 Post subject: SqLite to MySQL
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:32 am 

Hello all I was hoping someone may help me if possible. I am trying to migrate from SQLite to MySQL and every tut I read is different I cannot find a up to date one with easy to understand instructions I am running OpenSim OSgrid 0.9.0.0 on a Windows 10 PC. If anyone knows any decent links with instructions in easy to understand terms for a novice like me I would appreciate it I need to know where to download the latest MySQL and also how to move my database across and if I need to change any settings etc . All help will be truly appreciated even a walk through in the forum will be good thanks

Post subject: Re: SqLite to MySQL
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:52 am 
Site Admin

Hi Fixer,

There are not much "up to date" tutorials on this (yet).
A class on how to do this is scheduled on Saturday the 16th of April. Wright Plaza. Noon PST grid time.

Whatever you do, first make a backup OAR of your current regions. You will need to load this when you switched databases.

Old installguide MySQL :
https://opensimuser.wordpress.com/2010/03/04/updated-mysql-installation-guide/

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:27 pm 
Furious Typer

Foxx,

I've seen references to this issue numerous times. Telling people to use an OAR backup to migrate data from SQLite to MySQL isn't solving the issue. It is merely a workaround. This is a very important distinction, as migrating from SQLite to MySQL means not just taking a copy of region data, ie, the OAR file, or a users inventory, IARs. Migrating would actually mean taking the Standalone/Grid data, including user accounts, region IDs, and SO much more.

OARs are not the answer. OARs will only recreate a region. They will not recreate users, assets, inventory, or anything else.

Actually migrating the data means understanding the differences in data types and SQL implementation, exporting the entire database from SQLite, and importing the entire database to MySQL. To my knowledge, this has not been done, or properly covered in any tutorial, at least not one that is up to date.

Pardon if you understand this, but most users will not. Even those who may have enough know-how to run a sim/grid, or an instance of MySQL.

I would hope this is covered in the class. I'd personally love to attend, but probably won't be able.

Shad

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 4:45 pm 
Site Admin

Shad, There are ways to export sqlite database contents to mysql, some more info can be found here: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1867 ... 3-to-mysql

This really wouldn't apply to a grid as robust does not use sqlite.

However, in this scenario its only the region contents since all the users, assets, inventory is not stored in the user's region database and using an oar is probably the least trouble.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]