Change font size
It is currently Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:44 am

Forum rules

Share your IARs and OARs here, but please only share the oars if they are 100% of your creating only. Questionable oars will be removed. Up to 2.5mb limit and 10 archives per posting. Feel free to also post discussions about IAR and OAR in general.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]
 Post subject: some conclusions about OARfiles
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:24 am 

some conclusions about OARfiles:

1. its a great and easy way to save builds as backup.
2. Easy to share them
3. if someone loads the oar, everything is owned by the maker of the region wich the oar comes from. This has a couple of downsides. The new owner of the oar is less free in managing his own sim since the region is owned by the oarmaker. If you disable scripts on the region, the scripts that are in the oar wont work anymore since its owned by the oar maker and not the master avatar.
A lot of people return everything from a region after trying a freely available oar. wich means the maker of the oar gets regular inventory lost and found folder "bombings"

I think its really important that the person who loads the oar stays owner of its own land and that the prims and scripts will be owned by him/her to.
The name of the maker could stay name of maker.

This would make OAR a good way to share things. now its only good for personal backup

I would love to hear what people think about this and if it can play a role in developing OARs more

Post subject: Re: some conclusions about OARfiles
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:18 am 
Site Admin

This only happens if the OAR comes from another grid or standalone, if the OAR was made on OSgrid no ownership will change.. if the user uuid does not exist on the grid then oar does not know who the UUID belongs too, no actual user names are stored inside and OAR backup, only UUID references which the user server either translates into a user name, or if that UUID does not exist in the user database then the region owner will be assigned ownership/creator-ship of the items. You can speak to Justin Clark-Casey (justincc on IRC) if you want to contribute to OAR/IAR development.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:11 pm 

okay nice, i will look if i can chat with him. :)

For now it means then that if you want to share an oar. then its best to make it from a standalone. so that ppl who get the oar are full owners.( i think.)
Meaby i should try getting a standalone sometimes.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:57 am 
Also people trying out Oars could try them out on a created sim, not their main home. That way they could be just shut down afterwards and nothing would need to be returned or deleted.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:15 pm 

{L_QUOTE}:
For now it means then that if you want to share an oar. then its best to make it from a standalone. so that ppl who get the oar are full owners.( i think.)
Meaby i should try getting a standalone sometimes.

Ruben posted the above 2 years ago. And I want to tell you Ruben that exporting an oar from your standalone will give you the same results. I just tried and made some tests this week July 2, 2013.

After some tests exporting an oar from my standalone I've learned this:
a) saving an oar for backups works great

b) saving an oar and restoring it to another grid where you are the master avatar works fine

c) Sharing an oar with someone who is not the master avatar in the receiving grid works. But only if you saved your oar using:
save oar --publish name_of_oar.oar

Then opensim will ignore the prior ownership of all items and will assign them to the owner of the region.

d) if someone wants to share an oar that contains objects that have scripts in content or items that are boxed, then those items in content will not be assigned to the owner of the region and they will keep the ownership of the oar creator.

A developer told me once that this is because opensim will only check first level items, that is all objects that are rezzed on the ground, but it does not check what is inside of objects.

I made a test to confirm this. I rezzed scripted shoes on the ground and the shoes and the scripts inside were assigned to the region owner. So this works. Another test I made with boxes that had clothing and prims inside. In the prims I had scripts in content. This did not work well. The clothes were fine, but the objects and the scripts inside kept the oar creator as the owner.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]