Change font size
It is currently Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:28 am

Forum rules

Comments from the News Blog http://news.osgrid.org are here.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 2   [ 15 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Dead region cleanup
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:33 pm 

I am very glad this could finally be done. It's nice having only one region out of every 10 I try to visit be non-responsive rather than the other way around (I don't exaggerate either). One week seems a fair time span. Also remember, in certain emergencies or extenuating circumstances the grid admins can probably work out something to keep your coordinates.

Much of both the dead region and losing coordinates are due to limitations in opensim. There's no reservation system or a command to shut down without removing yourself from the grid. Most of this will probably be addressed eventually though. The color-coding of dead/non-responsive regions seems a good idea as well.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:28 pm 
Furious Typer

wow so many gone!!!

how many were dead places, time will tell

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:19 am 

Region cleanup is a necessary procedure however I think we should stay with the 1 week cycle check. It is enough time to notice your region is crashed and bring it back online.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:23 pm 

I don't know if this procedure is being executed after the 0.7 upgrade.
If so, can it be suspended for some weeks. I'm having issues to bring my sim back online and I believe a lot of people are in the same step.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:05 am 

You could prevent Dead regions teleports and such if these regions are flagged as dead 'is region up? True or False' if False the grid should act like there is no region at that XYZ spot on the grid for simulators and for viewers hence you will not see them on your map at all, the cleanup process however will proceed as it is if that region remains false > X Days jump to cleanup. This will advoid several issues Users logged in will not notice that there is an region active there because its flagged false, Simulators will not communicate with it either because its flagged false, but the Dead region counter runs further as long its false, if that dead region becomes active again < X Days switch flag to True, also in this way that spot can not be taken because internal its flagged false but the counter did not reach the deadline to be deleted. It could be pointing to an rdl.php or region_dead_line.php. The main grid reads from that same php file and if its flagged false it will block rhat XYZ space so that nobody can take it away, it also will prevent a lot of cleanups, in the PHP file there has to be an database pointer for the above situation, its just an idea and i thought loud out. :)

Regards,
Frank

PS: Excuses for any typo.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 2   [ 15 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2