Change font size
It is currently Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:07 am

Forum rules

{L_IMAGE}

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 4 of 7   [ 67 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: OSGrid Unscheduled Maintenance October-November 2014
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 3:45 am 

Well Hans, like it or not, there are some universal rules about how good crisis management - and that does include communication - does work. One of those rules is to use easy accessible communication channels which can be read by almost everybody. This means: news page, Twitter, Forum.

And for sure it does not include IRC, where you first have to know how to get there and then get to wait that someone maybe might answer to your questions.

Your comment is not going to change that fact at all, that an IRC channel is by all sane standards you could come up with the worst thing at all for public crisis management updates/broadcasts. It has other strengths.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:27 am 
Furious Typer

nearly all negative comments comes from some freaks and they had left osg for years ago
to tell hiro is like putin, osg is like china, the owner and admins has stolen the money what we had donate, cox they wont reopen our grid.
is this your universal rule ???? than I give an shit on this.
when I am reading this comments about our grid in the gridtalk forum I was ashamed to be an german.
and you guys from gridtalk do really not make universal rules for our grid !!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:06 pm 

Hmmm. Good to know that there is progress, and it's great to know that contingencies will be put in place so that this kind of crisis doesn't happen again. Posting on IRC is one thing, but as others have indicated. more modern modes of communication are required so that those not on the OSG IRC channel (i.e. most of them) know what's going on. Though the most likely medium to use is of course Facebook... Which I refuse to use. So I'd be one of those missing updates on progress. I do actually use IRC every now and then, but usually only when I need specific help with problems I'm having with OpenSim. For me it is e-mail that is the killer app - yes, I know, almost as passe as IRC in these degenerate days of Facebook and Twitter, but my e-mail client is the one app that stays minimised on my desktop and has all my accounts connected to it... though I've recently discovered that IM chat accounts can also be integrated into Thunderbird.. what a boon, must connect to my Google Talk account there, as well as MSN Messenger or whatever Microsoft are calling it these days.

Well. hopefully it won't be too long before OSG is back up and running. Not too sure if i will make a big return, but I will maintain a presence even though I now have my HG enabled standalones up and running very nicely - which is what attracted me to OpenSim in the first place, the prospect of having my own portal to a distributed metaverse.

What won't change is my monthly donation to OSG, that will remain, as will the general plug for OSG in all my metaverse profiles, whether that be SL, InWorldz, Avination or Metropolis. People coming from places like SL need a grid environment because that is what they understand, and let's face it, configuring an instance of OpenSim to be HG enabled and getting NAT Loopback to work isn't exacly what your average SL resident is going to be able to do.

Looking forward to the return of OSGrid!

Post subject: Re: OSGrid Unscheduled Maintenance 20141118 Update
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:38 am 
Site Admin

Crossposting this from the OSgrid Facebook page:
So this week's update reflects some change:

We contacted our data recovery services company yesterday and received no response. Not precisely encouraging.

That being said, we're forging ahead with such preparations as will be required with or without recovered assets; to wit, today we'll reprovisioning the old server with new disks and getting a second, identical server to prepare as a 'hot and ready standby'.

The idea is to modify slightly our asset service script such that it relays any request for an asset write to the hot and ready standby. This will leave us with two servers always up to date and ready to handle service requests ("Pinky, are you thinkin' what I'm thinkin'??").

Concerning the asset recovery work, we'll give those guys a little more time while we get ready.

Post subject: Re: OSGrid Unscheduled Maintenance 2014-11-18 Update 2
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:27 pm 
Site Admin

2014-11-18 (all times US/Central):

(11:20:11 AM) leTwitch: things are happening today, so I'll be updating a little more frequently.

(11:20:41 AM) leTwitch: We're presently installing the OpenSuse 13.1 server operating system on the new RAID 10 array we've had installed just this morning.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:17 pm 

Some minutes ago on #osgrid-channel

[23:23:27] <leTwitch> just a quick update on the server: we have the NEW raid array put together, and under logical volume management, and the new operating system is being loaded.
[23:23:46] <leTwitch> this is separate work from what is going on with the data recovery. this is work we're doing.
[23:24:27] <leTwitch> the TL;DR is we've begun the process of getting prepared to start back up, one way or another.
[23:24:47] SammyG3 gives thumbs up!!!
[23:24:55] <leTwitch> thanks SammyG3 ;)
[23:25:02] MarcusLlewellyn smiles. :)
[23:25:02] <leTwitch> spread the word :)
[23:25:03] <SammyG3> NO thank you
[23:25:07] <bollezijde> Very good news.
[23:25:25] <leTwitch> now let me reiterate, it wont be tomorrow or even next week
[23:25:27] <MarcusLlewellyn> The bird is the word.
[23:25:37] <leTwitch> but we are no longer dead in the water, so to speak.
[23:26:20] <leTwitch> once we have this server live and workable via remote access, we'll order the hot and ready standby server.
[23:27:32] <DamianZhaoying> great news... I'll post it in my blog dedicated to spanish spoken people! many users ask me when osgrid come back online. thanks for all your work osgrid team!
[23:27:33] <leTwitch> this new stuff will very much take us up a notch; osgrid 2.0 if you will. There's a bit of new software we want to employ for backups, and some scripts that need to be written, some of it is actually a little vague at the moment -- but we are going to get a little progressive, and try to prevent this sort of thing from happening again in 18 months.
[23:27:46] <bollezijde> My groing imppatience has dissolved by these messages, I'm patiens again.
[23:28:18] <leTwitch> bollezijde you are as patiens as Old Job himself :)
[23:28:34] <leTwitch> we greatly appreciate that too
[23:29:00] leTwitch grabs a quick drink of water
[23:29:11] <leTwitch> ok back to the saltmines with me, will update again soon! ;D

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:07 pm 
OSG Elite

Cool! Thanks for the update.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:30 pm 
Furious Typer

a test grid is coming back online eventually, that's good news for those who do testing.

it's been driven home to me that it is JUST a test grid and so because i am not a tester, beyond getting my assets back, it doesn't mean as much to me personally. it's great for the community, absolutely, but for me now it's just another test grid.

perhaps i should have known better but the way it read to me was that OS Grid was a publicly supported grid and that the Open Simulator Project merely chose to use it for testing. not that OS Grid was created and brought into existence just for that purpose and then let others piggyback.

statements like "OS Grid is a test grid for the opensim project" read like an endorsement not as a disclaimer and that's how i interpreted it.

in any case i now know better and have taken total control and responsibility over my own metaverse, as it should be.
i hope they come back better than ever, as a result of this fandango my own metaverse is and that's a good thing.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:02 am 
Furious Typer

To Everyone,

These last few months have been a little less fun, a lot more frustrating, and well, let's just face it, EYEOPENING!!! :shock:

However, there is a very BIG point that has been waylaid due to the absence of the Osgrid.

Osgrid is the test bed for the OpenSimulator project. That goes without say. Osgrid is a free, as in beer, open, as in said beer, online virtual world. It is here because of a dedicated group of individuals. And I don't mean those folks working their tails off to host or administer the grid.

I am referring to You, and You, and You, and......well I mean US.

Osgrid is a testbed, but it is SO MUCH MORE. It is a community of people from all over the world, who come here, who live here (virtually), and who make it a world without borders, wars, disease or any of those other nasty real world things that drive us to escape here.

As such, I hope that everyone of you come back, bring your regions, and bring yourselves. And let's be the community that we've always been.

Lessons learned. Let's move forward.

Shad MOrdre

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:19 pm 

some minutes ago in IRC-channel #osgrid

[17:00:58] <@Hiro_Protagonist> I did actually get some news out of the recovery folks this morning
[17:01:16] <@Hiro_Protagonist> they're almost 3 TB into the dump and counting
[17:01:49] <@Hiro_Protagonist> also, I got new disks in the raid array yesterday and set up the server operating system, doing some configuration today
[17:02:32] <ckrinke> Thats encouraging news. I suspect you have already considered taking "whatever" comes out of this effort and putting the grid online even with some assets missing?
[17:11:24] <@Hiro_Protagonist> well, should they get our data back in some form we can use, we'll be picking up more or less where we left off
[17:11:39] <@Hiro_Protagonist> but if not, assets and inventory (at the least) will get wiped

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 4 of 7   [ 67 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next