Change font size
It is currently Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:42 pm

Forum rules

{L_IMAGE}

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]
 Post subject: Migrating Large Build(s) From Second Life
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:59 pm 

So I'm finally taking a serious look at moving away from Second Life forever after one too many bad experiences with Linden staff (seriously, are they all arseholes? Most of their developers seem to be, as are their entire customer support to whom I tried to complain and ended up suspended instead for my trouble).

I have a cloud server with plenty of spare capacity that should suffice to setup my own open-simulator instance, the problem I'm faced with though is moving everything. I know I can export individual items with the import/export menu items, but I have literally hundreds of objects I'd like to migrate. I am the original creator of the items, along with all the textures etc. that I should need, and as far as I can tell none of the scripts should cause any problems (most of the complicated stuff I should be able to port later if I have to), so there shouldn't be any hurdles from permissions (I hope).

What I'm wondering first of all is; what is the current state of automated tools to migrate content from Second Life to an open simulator? I see there used to be a paid tool called second inventory, plus a free alternative to that, but neither seems to exist anymore, or at least the links to their sites from the open-simulator page are now dead. Do any such tools still exist somewhere? I am a programmer so even if there's some open-source code left over that I could take a look at that might be a help, though I've currently zero familiarity with the codebases for either Second Life or open-simulator, but if there's no other choice I can probably make it work if I can find time.

Second; is it possible to transfer something from inventory, or will I need to get items rezzed somewhere in SL? I shutdown my land ages ago in disgust at the cost and terrible service, so my sim exists mostly as meta-objects. Fortunately I shrank down a lot of it, and divided it into chunks, so hopefully I can find a sandbox somewhere if I have to, but restoring from inventory would be a lot easier.

Any feedback/advice is appreciated; even if I do have to make the move slowly piece-by-piece I think it'll still be worth it to be free of the damned Lindens.

Post subject: Re: Migrating Large Build(s) From Second Life
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:30 pm 
Furious Typer

Sorry, but when I moved over, that's how I had to do it. You can group objects to export, which makes it easier.

As for from inv. dunno. Just find a sandbox and start from there.

EDIT: You may find that, with the freedom in OSG, it's easier to just re-make some stuff, especially if you intend to host your own region. I brought an entire club over, only to rebuild it better.

Post subject: Re: Migrating Large Build(s) From Second Life
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:47 am 

Roken Price {L_WROTE}:
Sorry, but when I moved over, that's how I had to do it. You can group objects to export, which makes it easier.

As for from inv. dunno. Just find a sandbox and start from there.

EDIT: You may find that, with the freedom in OSG, it's easier to just re-make some stuff, especially if you intend to host your own region. I brought an entire club over, only to rebuild it better.

Okay, I guess I'll give that a try for the main structure, you're probably right that I'd just end up tweaking it anyway :D
I suppose in that case I'll focus on porting my avatar; it's mostly prim-based and I wouldn't take any bets on me getting it updated to mesh anytime soon! I mean, I was going to update it to sculpties when those were introduced…

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]