Change font size
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:05 pm

Forum rules

{L_IMAGE}

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]
 Post subject: I opened my viewer and... saw a mess!
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:52 am 

I'm not sure what I think about the changes to the OSGrid website yet, but change was definitely needed, the new website is a huge improvement on the old one, though I would have chosen a brighter colour rather than the somewhat dour grey. Apart from that, all that's really required is a little proof reading to correct the sometimes somewhat stilted English. I don't wish to blame the person behind all the work, as I do understand that English isn't their first language, but OSGrid is full of people who do speak English fluently, who could help out. It's a minor issue, but for that is one that could easily have been dealt with.

When it comes to the changes to the viewer splash, it's a different matter. In my opinion it's a total mess! There is simply too much information there. Much of that information I would suggest is the kind of information that is of interest to very few people, and, let's face it, how many people spend any time looking at the viewer splash page before logging in? Do we really need the lowdown on how many avatars are at a particular location, and why on earth do we need a quick link to login to a particular location, when we can choose that anyway with the dropdown menu for login location.

Whilst it's useful to know how many are logged in at any given time, do we really need to know how many in total are registered on the grid? Especially when a large proportion will be people who have not logged in for years, or those who logged in once or twice, saw that there was 'no-one around' and then went back to Second Life. That figure is completely meaningless. I wouldn't say that the rest of the information in that panel was useless, but I doubt very much that the viewer splash page is the place to have it, as it's just duplicating information that's already available on the OSGrid website, which is where I'd logically go to find out anything about OSGrid. Even the Twitter feed and the plaza list are a bit superfluous to my mind. Logging in to any particular plaza is already easy enough, using the login location selector. The Twitter feed usually only contains information of interest to people of a technical bent, and it's likely that those people will be more focussed on the IRC channels for both OSGrid and Open Simulator anyway. And, once again, all this information is also duplicated on the website.

What is a glaring omission to my mind is the lack of a panel where prospective residents can sign up to OSGrid, as that could possibly be a great way of easily persuading people to give OSGrid and Opensim a trial.

I've been on OSGrid long enough to remember the splash page we had before someone did some really cool work and created a pictorial splash page, and then we got the previous splash page where we had a different location picture as the splash background every time we opened our viewer - that was quite spectacular, and really showcased what OSGrid had to offer. This new splash page is a retrograde step in my opinion, and I think it's likely to put people off rather than attract them. I think a viewer splash page needs to be kept as simple as possible, and as attractive as possible, as it really is the grid's front window facing the street. Very little of the information that's carried on the splash really needs to be there, as it's either available inworld, in the case of events, or on the website. Basically all we really need, I would argue, it a nice picture of various locations in OSGrid that showcase the grid, and that are updated and changed frequently, and a small panel where people can sign up and create an account, and another panel that gives information about grid status, number logged in, HG visitors. I don't think we really need the information about the number of regions, as that kind of statistic is more relevant on the website.

Post subject: Re: I opened my viewer and... saw a mess!
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:59 pm 
Furious Typer

I like it. You are right about this though: "lack of a panel where prospective residents can sign up to OSGrid, as that could possibly be a great way of easily persuading people to give OSGrid and Opensim a trial.".

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:15 pm 
Site Admin

Jozee Tungsten {L_WROTE}:
I like it. You are right about this though: "lack of a panel where prospective residents can sign up to OSGrid, as that could possibly be a great way of easily persuading people to give OSGrid and Opensim a trial.".

not possible sorry

https://www.osgrid.org

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:18 pm 
Site Admin

Susannah Avonside {L_WROTE}:
I'm not sure what I think about the changes to the OSGrid website yet, but change was definitely needed, the new website is a huge improvement on the old one, though I would have chosen a brighter colour rather than the somewhat dour grey. Apart from that, all that's really required is a little proof reading to correct the sometimes somewhat stilted English. I don't wish to blame the person behind all the work, as I do understand that English isn't their first language, but OSGrid is full of people who do speak English fluently, who could help out. It's a minor issue, but for that is one that could easily have been dealt with.

When it comes to the changes to the viewer splash, it's a different matter. In my opinion it's a total mess! There is simply too much information there. Much of that information I would suggest is the kind of information that is of interest to very few people, and, let's face it, how many people spend any time looking at the viewer splash page before logging in? Do we really need the lowdown on how many avatars are at a particular location, and why on earth do we need a quick link to login to a particular location, when we can choose that anyway with the dropdown menu for login location.

Whilst it's useful to know how many are logged in at any given time, do we really need to know how many in total are registered on the grid? Especially when a large proportion will be people who have not logged in for years, or those who logged in once or twice, saw that there was 'no-one around' and then went back to Second Life. That figure is completely meaningless. I wouldn't say that the rest of the information in that panel was useless, but I doubt very much that the viewer splash page is the place to have it, as it's just duplicating information that's already available on the OSGrid website, which is where I'd logically go to find out anything about OSGrid. Even the Twitter feed and the plaza list are a bit superfluous to my mind. Logging in to any particular plaza is already easy enough, using the login location selector. The Twitter feed usually only contains information of interest to people of a technical bent, and it's likely that those people will be more focussed on the IRC channels for both OSGrid and Open Simulator anyway. And, once again, all this information is also duplicated on the website.

What is a glaring omission to my mind is the lack of a panel where prospective residents can sign up to OSGrid, as that could possibly be a great way of easily persuading people to give OSGrid and Opensim a trial.

I've been on OSGrid long enough to remember the splash page we had before someone did some really cool work and created a pictorial splash page, and then we got the previous splash page where we had a different location picture as the splash background every time we opened our viewer - that was quite spectacular, and really showcased what OSGrid had to offer. This new splash page is a retrograde step in my opinion, and I think it's likely to put people off rather than attract them. I think a viewer splash page needs to be kept as simple as possible, and as attractive as possible, as it really is the grid's front window facing the street. Very little of the information that's carried on the splash really needs to be there, as it's either available inworld, in the case of events, or on the website. Basically all we really need, I would argue, it a nice picture of various locations in OSGrid that showcase the grid, and that are updated and changed frequently, and a small panel where people can sign up and create an account, and another panel that gives information about grid status, number logged in, HG visitors. I don't think we really need the information about the number of regions, as that kind of statistic is more relevant on the website.

Splash: This infos are added by the answer of the lasted ideas of peoples. not my owned ideas.

Website part:
The color theme is the color of Osgrid the first website i have make with other color are not allowed by the board and the residents ...
About the english yes i'm sorry but i'm French and the english US are not the same of the english UK

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:19 pm 
Site Admin

paela argus {L_WROTE}:
Jozee Tungsten {L_WROTE}:

not possible sorry " security issues "

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]