Change font size
It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:01 pm

Forum rules

{L_IMAGE}

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 2 posts ]
 Post subject: The ignorance of some?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:42 pm 
Furious Typer

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-london-47654437/fake-london-the-city-built-in-minecraft

seems like the existance of Second Life or Opensim is being lost on the younger generation? has been forgotten? Why bother with Minecraft when you can do some thing better?

Post subject: Re: The ignorance of some?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:33 pm 

Completely agree with you Mercalia. I was recently chatting online with one of my nephews who, like most teenagers it seems, is pretty keen on gaming, and he mentioned a plane that a few of his friends had about collectively creating a virtual town together using Minecraft. I told him about OpenSimulator, and even went to the length of writing a pretty comprehensive basic introduction to the platform, but I'm not even sure that he read it, as I have had no response.

It is a source of constant amazement to me that things like Minecraft, and even Active Worlds have the following they do when there is OpenSimulator. Some people are scathing in their criticism of the poor graphics in OpenSimulator, yet remain silent about Minecraft and Active Worlds. However, perhaps we should be encouraged by the continued existence of Active Worlds, especially in the light of some opinion that OpenSimulator/Second Life technology is 'ancient'. Compared to Active Worlds, OpenSimulator is merely 'middle aged'!

These days when people ask me what OpenSimulator is I usually reply that it's 'Minecraft for grownups'!

But really, OpenSimulator does suffer from poor promotion, and most people are unaware of its existence whereas many are aware of the many ways inferior but commercial Minecraft.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 2 posts ]