Change font size
It is currently Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:06 pm

Forum rules

{L_IMAGE}

Discuss and Display your Mesh Builds and projects, post tutorials and links to examples. Blender - Maya - 3D Studio - ZBrush - Sculptris and many other tools and scripts related to modeling!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]
 Post subject: Rigging a Mesh Avatar: Tutorials
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:50 pm 
Site Admin

Here is a very good set of instructions for rigging a SL/Opensim avatar that you have either created yourself or from your current shape exported using some recent viewers as per the instructions. Astra did the trick for me.

http://blog.machinimatrix.org/3d-creation/blender-meshes-trail/rigg-your-avatar/

This tutorial is a bit outdated (made for Blender 2.49), so if you are using Blender 2.5x the following update will be needed for a new BoneWeight Copy script for Blender-2.59:

http://blog.machinimatrix.org/bone-weight-copy-for-blender-2-59/

Gaia Clary recommends an interpolation value of 2 or 3, and this is not specified in the update page.
Most of the instructions are easily interpreted from 2.49 to 2.5 if you have switched to the newer version recently after being familiar with 2.49.

I am pecking away on this in between all my other distractions, so if anyone actually accomplishes this and gets a working mesh avatar, please post here with any tips (and pictures even :) )

Post subject: Re: Rigging a Mesh Avatar: Tutorials
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:56 pm 

I'm building a horse mesh avatar to use with npc's. I've got it to the point where I can import it including joints (it actually moves when I attach it!!).

Only it looks ridiculous because I don't have the right animations for it yet. But I'm working on that. When I have something that's presentable, I will share it here ;)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:33 am 

I have a small video of my mesh avatar being animated. Don't pay too much attention to my sad animations please, not really my thing ;) video on youtube

I did this with avastar because it allows for animation export in opensim's native format, so you won't need the T-pose in the first frame. Honestly, I got so frustrated with other animation software that I decided to just pay the 20 euros for it ;) No regrets

Next project: adding custom bones (by editing the viewers avatar_skeleton.xml) for more natural neck movement, and movement of tail and ears.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:36 pm 

Looks fantastic :)

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 8:25 pm 
Furious Typer

When you figure that out, please let me know. I have a mesh dragon to animate.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]