Change font size
It is currently Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:58 pm

Forum rules

{L_IMAGE}

Discuss and Display your Mesh Builds and projects, post tutorials and links to examples. Blender - Maya - 3D Studio - ZBrush - Sculptris and many other tools and scripts related to modeling!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 2   [ 19 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: SnappyTree and Cantree
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:34 pm 
Site Admin

OK, Neb clued me in about a bug with the online version of SnappyTree, and how you can fix it yourself by downloading the package to your computer and running it there. It's just straight html plus javascript, and there's one file to make a small correction in. I tried it and still am getting only 8 kb dae files but if you want to try yourselves here's what you do:

download the code from github: https://github.com/supereggbert/SnappyTree

Nebadon said to clone it from github and I am not familiar with that, so I just grabbed the zip file to disk, uploaded to my remote webserver, and made the correction as directed here: https://github.com/supereggbert/SnappyTree/issues/2

You can just run it on your home PC after unzipping it and making the correction in /js/export.js

Neb also said to try a right-click on the filename in the export popup window for a "Save Link As", and renaming to tree.dae or whatever.dae.

I try in both Chrome and Firefox, with no joy, and I'm not sure what next to try.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:07 pm 
OSG Elite

I'm getting somewhere now with this.

I've downloaded onto my local webserver and made the change to that file. Using Firefox it tries to download as an xml, but downloaded ok using Chrome. :)

For some reason though (and I have no idea at all; I'm a complete mesh n00b) the trunk/branches and leaves don't line up. They look good in Snappy Tree, and the mesh upload preview, but when rezzed they are mis aligned. Looking at it, it seems the trunk/branches are at 90 degrees to the leaves and a little off. What I did is to rotate the trunk/branches so they are at <0,0,0> and make sure the leaves are at <0,0,0> (both rotation, not pos!) and then just moved the leaves down until it looked about right. Not a biggie really, I'm just pleased I managed to get a test done and uploaded ok. :)

The other things though, and this is probably a 'me not knowing what I'm doing' thing.. There are no textures on the tree. Are these part of the mesh itself? I expect not as the dae is pretty much xml, so how does one get the textures on the tree? Or do I have to apply them in-world afterwards?

And thanks for your help, Key and Neb, I'm 90% there now :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:27 pm 
Site Admin

I have posted a useable URL here : http://snappytree.onikenkon.com

and you can download my version here : http://snappytree.onikenkon.com/SnappyTree.tar.gz

please give these versions a shot and see if they work for you!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:53 pm 
Site Admin

Adelle, you do have to apply the trunk and branch textures inworld. They are in the images/branches and images/trunk folder (you probably know this already)

I am having a hard time lining up the foliage with the trunk. Almost looks like they might be flipped sideways, hard to say :(

[addendum] I followed Adelle's advice, making both parts 0,0,0 rotation and it worked great.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:44 pm 
OSG Elite

I have the same problem with Firefox and IE Adelle. I don't have chrome.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:13 pm 

Same problem here. But a friend with win7, 64, firefox 17.0.1 succeeds in downloading the files. He loads them to Blender, saves as .dae. Done. He has consistently done that and sent me the .dae-files. They work perfectly. I have no idea what he is doing diffently.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:18 pm 

Using Win7 64-bit and Firefox 18.0.1, the original website doesn't export properly at all (In fact, trying to import into Blender leads to corrupted file messages for me), but Nebs version works fine for me. I've tested it with straight upload, as well as loading into Blender from .dae and .obj, and both work fine.

I can't say what makes it work when others are still having issues, but, it does!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:49 am 
Furious Typer

Firefox 23 , windows 8. the only thing what happens is when you save dae file. you get a tine 7KB size file that only hold copy of some webpage withg snappytree textures etc. but no xml file.

Just found out that snappy tree is saveing something you can see on the about/credits page as dae file.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:22 am 
Furious Typer

Seems you need to use this website http://snappytree.com/ others seems to fail.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 2   [ 19 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2