Change font size
It is currently Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:10 am

Forum rules

{L_IMAGE}

Discuss and Display your Mesh Builds and projects, post tutorials and links to examples. Blender - Maya - 3D Studio - ZBrush - Sculptris and many other tools and scripts related to modeling!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]
 Post subject: Help with full avatar rig - Blender 2.64
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:41 pm 

Heya,

I've been messing about with a full avatar rig, based off of modified Makehuman meshes, as a test. I've gotten it modeled and rigged fine, except for one bit. For some reason, the pants are rigging oddly, and I've tried everything I can think of, to no avail. I was hoping perhaps someone has a little more experience with armatures than I do, and could point me in the right direction.

The issue:
The thigh bones act as I'd expect, but for some reason when I move the knee, the mesh deforms at more or less the same spot as the thigh, but around the knee pivot.

I've tried changing the topology, mesh density, messing with bone weights, and a few other things, but no matter what I do it still deforms wrong.

On the right is just the thigh rotated, and on the left is just the knee rotated. This shows the odd deformation:
{L_IMAGE}

And, wireframe render of the pants:
{L_IMAGE}

I've gotten made-from-scratch leg rigs to work fine previously, and I could model new pants to rig, but I'd like to know what's causing this so that I can correct/avoid it in the future. To my eye, there's nothing wrong with the actual mesh, and it's based off of a mesh made for rigging, so I'm not sure what to look for.

Post subject: Re: Help with full avatar rig - Blender 2.64
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:38 pm 
Furious Typer

I haven't rigged a mesh in OSG, but I have rigged 3D models in Cinema 4D and imported from Blender models into Cinema, and one of the things you need to think about is where those pesky pivot points sit. If you are using bones in blender make sure that you have the rig hierarchy setup correctly, with each bone (joint - I forget the terminology in Blender) being properly a child of the parent. Also make sure that the orientation of each is zero'd out, For example, at the classic T-Pose you would aim for zero'd out joints with a

Hip
--Thigh
---lower leg
------Foot

hierarchy.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:32 pm 
Site Admin

Kei, it's likely you have seen the avatar workbench blender file already, but just in case not, I think it's the best tool out there for rigging a mesh avatar unless you fork out the $$ for Avastar (well worth it imho). And it's kept fairly up to date with lots of good info.

http://blog.machinimatrix.org/avatar-workbench/

Add your makehuman avatar on it's own layer so you can match it up with the SL avatar. You should probably discard the skeleton in the MH avatar and use the one included in the workbench file. That's my two cents worth, I'm no expert at this but there are instructions on that webpage, plus some youtube videos. Hope this helps some.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:48 pm 

Thank you both, but yep, already accounted for.

I use the avatar mesh and armature from the same point as the workbench, just in my own setup, and have rigged every part with it before, so I know it shouldn't be an issue with the skeleton. The rig and avatar mesh are ripped straight from Domino Marama's files, the basis for the workbench. I've even made sure I didn't mess anything up by accident at some point, with a test on the same method, in the same file, and it worked fine with a simple subdivided cylinder, so I was hoping perhaps there was something obvious about the mesh that I just didn't take into account.

{L_IMAGE}

My method is the same as described by Machinimatrix tutorials, I believe. I place the object directly over the avatar mesh, match up the topology to the avatar mesh as well as I can manage. Originally the pants were less dense aside from the knees and hips, but in trying to correct this, I've added some extra loops. The odd thing is, the actual makehuman avatar itself will rig fine - I've done naked rigs fine, it's just these pants for some reason will not.

{L_IMAGE}

Looks like I'll just scrap the pants and go from scratch a little early, but I'm keeping them in the file, so any help would still be appreciated, would still love to know what to avoid.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]