Change font size
It is currently Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:11 pm

Forum rules

{L_IMAGE}

Discuss and Display your Mesh Builds and projects, post tutorials and links to examples. Blender - Maya - 3D Studio - ZBrush - Sculptris and many other tools and scripts related to modeling!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 1 post ]
 Post subject: Blender 2.70 weight transfer function a huge time-saver
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 6:40 am 
Furious Typer

For those who make rigged mesh clothing in Blender and haven't yet updated to 2.70, do so! The weight transfer function is a huge time-saver. For Avastar owners, do it too....it is both faster and better than the weight transfer calculations that Avastar does when parenting the object to the armature.

To use it you need a "source" object that is already weighted to your satisfaction (can be your avatar or a piece of similar-shaped clothing you've already made) and a "target" object that you want to weight. Both objects should be in object mode. Then:

1. select the source object
2. shift + select the target object
3. switch to weight paint mode
4. in the toolshelf (T) tools tab click the "Transfer Weights" button
5. Select the options you want (for a global transfer it would be group=all, method=nearest face, replace=all)

The closer your source is in shape to your target, the better your results will be.

I spent a couple days making a set of "weight sources" for myself that I store in a single .blend file and then temporarily append whichever one I need to my working file. I made 3 versions of a full-length (to the ankles, wrists and mid-neck) dress -- one very close-fitting, one that drops more or less straight from the hips, and one that flares out like a more traditional ballgown -- as well as several different tops that have different armpit draping and bust draping.

Prior to this, properly weighting something might take anywhere from 2 to 7 or 8 hours. Now when I make a new item I can get very close to final weighting in a matter of seconds using weight transfer, then just make a few tweaks where needed...rarely more than an hour of work.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 1 post ]