Change font size
It is currently Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:12 pm

Forum rules

{L_IMAGE}

Discuss and Display your Mesh Builds and projects, post tutorials and links to examples. Blender - Maya - 3D Studio - ZBrush - Sculptris and many other tools and scripts related to modeling!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]
 Post subject: Can I convert this to mesh?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:33 am 
Furious Typer

Hello out there.

After months of creating a 4x4 var, I find 37000 prims to be overly taxing on the hardware, and rather limiting on adding too much else, like everyday objects.

In general, most of the buildings are anywhere from 50 to 1000 prims. Exporting to Collada doesn't actually make a single mesh, but a mesh for each prim in the build, even if saved in one .dae file. That kinda defeats the purpose.

Since Firestorm, Singularity and Radegast export to Collada, (.dae), is there a simple way to have the multiprim objects merged into a single mesh? Prefer simple, as in Meshlab, and not complex, like Blender.

Would prefer solution be open source. And not a pointer to a tutorial that attempts to teach me all the irrelevant intricacies of Meshlab, but something more specific to the question at hand and Opensim mesh.

I'm not a 3D modeller. More a general builder and coder.

Any takers.

Thanks in advance.

Shad

Post subject: Re: Can I convert this to mesh?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:00 pm 
Furious Typer

Singularity DAE export with the Consolidate faces option selected is supposed to combine them into a sub mesh, but I have never seen it working – at least not on OpenSim. You might want to ask the Singularity developers.

Regardless, even if it does, it will be exported as triangulated mesh, which is much harder to recombine into something useful in a modeler. I sometime make a prim outline, export as OBJ, take it into the modeler, delete the faces so only the points are left and recreate the geometry with proper polygons between the points. BUT – you really must want this mesh for it to be worthwhile. :-))

You most likely want to make collision models also (physics models) for the meshes to be easier on the simulator.

I have a grid with almost mesh only in most regions and it runs pretty lean, but only at around 9000 prims and meshes all in all rezzed in 29 regions (running on the same machine.)

– running my regions on OS X and PostgreSQL at HG address grid.xmir.org:8002

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:40 pm 
Furious Typer

I asked this before.

Gavin, thanks for the advise and suggestions.

Below are some pics of what I'd like to convert. The buildings are made of multiple prims, and export to .DAE just fine, but each prim becomes its own mesh. I'd like to export them, and then combine each building into a single mesh. Some of the buildings near 500+ prims. I'd really like to have each building as a single mesh object, that taxes the simulator less, so that more items can be added to the region. The region is a 1024x1024 var, and with 37000+ prims, becomes unbearably slow on load. There are only about 300-400 buildings in the region, and if each were a single mesh, the region would be more easily shared.

Shad

{L_ATTACHMENT}:
The Pharr Maana Saga - Askaad (Port City)_002_009.png
The Pharr Maana Saga - Askaad (Port City)_002_009.png [ 1.03 MiB | Viewed 7766 times ]

{L_ATTACHMENT}:
The Pharr Maana Saga - Askaad (Port City)_002_014.png
The Pharr Maana Saga - Askaad (Port City)_002_014.png [ 998.54 KiB | Viewed 7766 times ]

{L_ATTACHMENT}:
The Pharr Maana Saga - Askaad (Port City)_002_011.png
The Pharr Maana Saga - Askaad (Port City)_002_011.png [ 973.86 KiB | Viewed 7766 times ]

{L_ATTACHMENT}:
The Pharr Maana Saga - Askaad (Port City)_002_008.png
The Pharr Maana Saga - Askaad (Port City)_002_008.png [ 999.5 KiB | Viewed 7766 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:54 pm 
Furious Typer

there is no tool i know of that would convert those buildings into mesh and still keep the same UVs, any textures you have wouldn't fit properly. which means you'd have to repaint them all from scratch.

you can, as gavin mentions, convert those buildings into low poly mesh, them use them as the physical shells for the prim buildings, you would then make the prim buildings phantom.

at this point not sure how practical that would be.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]