Change font size
It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:07 am

Forum rules

General Discussion of viewers, this section is not intended for technical support of viewer bugs, but more a general area for Viewer discussion and announcements for all users and third party viewer teams.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]
 Post subject: VR Headset support
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:55 am 

Hi!

I wonder why there seems not much interest for supporting VR-Headsets like the VIVE or Rift.
Are there any efforts in this direction? I think it would rise the immersion into OpenSIM/SL up to a new level,
and since there isn't soo much VR software out ATM, it could draw some more attention to OpenSIM and bring some more users to here.

Would be nice to hear some comments/opinions/facts to this topic.

Best regards,
Alex

Post subject: Re: VR Headset support
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 4:10 am 
Furious Typer

Hi Alex,

it is not because there is no interest in VR Headsets, but OpenSim is the wrong software for such things.

To avoid the "simulator sickness", which feels like seasickness, one needs more than 100 simulation steps per second. It is quite easy to create 3D projections, where the head does not move a lot while watching to a screen. (And there already exist experimental SL/OS viewers for that use case.) Contrary to our quite slow human eyes the vestibular system is very fast and sensitive to lag between the real head position and the images shown.

OpenSim with Bullet physics actually creates 11 simulations per second. The core graphics code of OpenSim (in my opinion), after roundabout 10 years of development is in a quite chaotic state: Each small improvement causes a bunch of bugs at other edges of the code. To improve simulation speed by one decade, would mean a reimplementation of the core graphics engine.

Maybe, to use VR headsets with OpenSource software the High Fidelity project would be an interesting playground for you.

Kind regards,
Mareta

Post subject: Re: VR Headset support
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:49 am 

Hi Mareta!

Thank you for the detailed explanation, even if its sad to hear ;)

I will take a look on high fidelity, that sounds interesting.

Tschüss und LG,
Alex

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]