Change font size
It is currently Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:08 pm

Forum rules

General Discussion of viewers, this section is not intended for technical support of viewer bugs, but more a general area for Viewer discussion and announcements for all users and third party viewer teams.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]
 Post subject: Biased from open sim functionality
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 2:18 pm 

I have one query here, actually i m confused.
Basically, i want to create a 3d image tool, where multiple people works on same 3d image simulatneously and what i understood from the docs is open sim is used only for the game play environment.
Consider a viewer example such as imprudence, an avatar is loaded using imprudence viewer and is placed in a region which is setup by the open sim server.
And ROBUST is used to simulate grid architecture.
Is my understanding correct.
If not, then what should i do for my requirement?
I have to create a viewer to simulate a 3d image tool environment?
What will the role of open sim server ?
Looking forward to your reply :)

Post subject: Re: Biased from open sim functionality
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 1:08 am 
Site Admin

Maybe I can answer your question to an extent. Opensimulator is used in various ways by different people and for different purposes. First opensimulator is based on the popular Second Life commercial program, but over the years it has expanded its capabilities and purposes. The US Army is involved in some development of it, in that they are exploring ways it could be used by soldiers in their training. Their emphasis right now is in physics so that more realistic activities could be utilized. Opensimulator is also being used by may educational institutions and teachers around the world. With opensimulator you can reconstruct historical buildings or sites, that students my never have the opportunity to visit themselves or which may no longer exist in today's world. It can also serve as a class room for people to gather from around the world to learn and share experiences. It can serve as a role playing environment as you mention. With the addition of the Hypergrird, which Second Life does not have, people are able to travel virtually as an avatar to other peoples computers and their own opensimulator installation. Thus it has become a very important social media platform. As far as the viewer side of things, that has always up to recently been a separate development separate from opensimulator. But as opensimulator has grown away from Second Life there is now an effort to expand the viewers that will be specific to opensimulator and take advantage of new capabilities. There is an effort now to have a striped down version of the normal second life viewer more towards a Browser type viewer. So if you are interested in working on such a project, there are others that have a similar interest too. I do know that Diva one of our core developers of opensimulator is working now on such a viewer, and some of the other viewer developers maybe going in that direction eventually too. Check out the Kokua, Singularity and Firestorm for Opensim websites, and Diva has a demo of her efforts out also. Here is a link about Diva's Onlook Viewer http://www.metaverseink.com/blog/. You can get the websites of the other viewers supporting opensimulator on the download page of OSgrid. http://www.osgrid.org/index.php/downloads

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:26 am 

Thanks for replying Mr.Landar :)

It was very informative by explaining me about the open sim scope and the developments involved in it. That is great!! And you have also cleared me the difference between second life and open sim. OpenSim is basically clone of Second lie.
And yes, i will try out other viewers which you have mentioned singularity, Kokua.

I have one more question, you said Diva which is one of your core developer is working on a viewer. So the OpenSim now have only the gaming world(environment), then according to my requirement i have make an 3d image tool in OpenSim?? And a basic UI for viewer to login to opensim grid and display the 3dimage tool from contacting the OpenSim Server.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:30 am 
Site Admin

Well to further expand on what I have said. Opensim is different from Second Life in that it is and will be a modular application. The various parts can have certain abilities and in one grid or instillation but perhaps different parts in another. One very big difference also is that Opensimulator can support various languages in its scripts. Second life uses its own LSL language for scripts, and opensim supports many of those but not all. And at the same time Opensimulator has its own set of scripting functions which work in opensim but not in second life. I would suggest talking to the developers of some of the viewers such as Singularity and Kokua, or Firestorm for opensim as to the technical details. But like second life, opensimulator support Mesh items that are built in an application such as blender. Currently you can not create mesh within the viewer in opensimulator, you have to import the mesh and then assemble its parts. This may be changed in the future at some point. But a creative person may be able to assemble a tool using one of the supported programming languages to better create 3d items in world.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]