It is currently Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:09 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 1 post ]
 Post subject: Saturday Q&A for August 1st, 2020
PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:13 pm 
Site Admin

[10:54] Wizard Atazoth: Greetings ^_^
[10:54] albertlr Landar: Hello Wizard.
[10:54] albertlr Landar: greetings
[10:54] albertlr Landar: Hope every thing is stable where you are.
[10:55] albertlr Landar: Glad to see you all have the Fundraiser going, has that board set the dates for it this year.
[10:55] Wizard Atazoth: going fine
[10:55] Wizard Atazoth: let me see
[10:56] Wizard Atazoth: sept 21~27
[10:56] Wizard Atazoth: we have been putting out posters early so people can build some nice things for the auction
[10:57] albertlr Landar: good if they get enough maybe they could add an extra day for auction.
[10:57] Wizard Atazoth: yea
[10:57] albertlr Landar: I was thinking that if something really big was donated, maybe a raffle could also be added.
[10:57] Wizard Atazoth: auction dates and times will be set closer to the event.
[10:57] Wizard Atazoth: ahh interesting
[10:58] Elmo Figaro is Online
[11:00] Wizard Atazoth: Greetings ^_^
[11:02] albertlr Landar: well if you need any water we have lots surrounding Hurliman, and a flowing stream for fresher water next to the Auditorium
[11:02] Jeff Hall is Online
[11:06] albertlr Landar: well last week I saw that they were alot on Event during the Birthday, so decided to cancel it for that week.
[11:08] albertlr Landar: well I see from Maria on Hypergrid business that Speculoos is working on a Wordpress module for opensim.
[11:09] albertlr Landar: That would be nice.
[11:09] albertlr Landar: https://git.magiiic.com/opensimulator/w4os
[11:09] Wizard Atazoth: hows that suppose to work? blog from inworld? ill have to read on that.
[11:09] albertlr Landar: Not really sure.
[11:10] albertlr Landar: Apparently it allows you to integrate a web interface with a pre existing WordPress web page.
[11:11] Wizard Atazoth: "Provides user registration and basic grid info." so http frontend. nice i guess.
[11:11] albertlr Landar: have not seen George today.
[11:12] Wizard Atazoth: html*
[11:12] Wizard Atazoth: i saw him a minute ago
[11:14] albertlr Landar: And I am not looking for a very good economy for the us in the next few months I am afraid.
[11:14] Wizard Atazoth: yea nice safety net.
[11:15] albertlr Landar: but I suspect that will pick up on an international basis in the coming year, with fingers cross and knocking on wood at the same time.
[11:16] albertlr Landar: I am just glad that I have been spared any real medical problems here.
[11:16] albertlr Landar: Got good Doctors reports, and no infection that I know of yet.
[11:16] Wizard Atazoth: i think its just all in limbo till a vaccine comes out. then ppl will get out more and do things.
[11:16] albertlr Landar: yea pretty much
[11:16] Wizard Atazoth: good news albert
[11:17] albertlr Landar: but glad its back, just keep taking your Vitamin D3
[11:18] albertlr Landar: but they say it should be less severe because of the masks everyone is supposedly wearing.
[11:18] albertlr Landar: Hello Ricky
[11:18] Ricky Fournier: waves
[11:19] Ricky Fournier: anything important going on?
[11:19] albertlr Landar: well sort of slow this week.
[11:20] albertlr Landar: But Birthday Regions are still open for touring
[11:20] albertlr Landar: And we got Fundraiser coming with auctions in Sept.
[11:20] Ricky Fournier: Is the grid doing ok for funding?
[11:20] albertlr Landar: YEa, we are pretty stable.
[11:21] albertlr Landar: Got a nice savings account from previous fundraiser up to over $7,000 now
[11:21] Wizard Atazoth: oh, caro said she received the first item for the auction yesterday.
[11:21] albertlr Landar: Oh great.
[11:21] Ricky Fournier: That's good.
[11:21] Ricky Fournier: I will continue to toss in something when I can.
[11:21] albertlr Landar: And we maintain a balance in Paypal of around $3,000 a month
[11:22] albertlr Landar: Plus usage on OSgrid was 6,070 last month.
[11:22] Ricky Fournier: One is a rainy day fund and the other daily expenses fund?
[11:22] albertlr Landar: yea
[11:22] albertlr Landar: https://www.hypergridbusiness.com/2020/ ... d-area-up/
[11:22] Ricky Fournier: useage?
[11:22] albertlr Landar: the number of users that logged into the grid.
[11:23] Ricky Fournier: ok
[11:23] albertlr Landar: OSgrid has been leading all the grids for past year.
[11:23] Ricky Fournier: Oh cool!
[11:24] albertlr Landar: they invested in new equipment for the grid in the past, and it has helped us to stay very stable.
[11:24] albertlr Landar: Thanks to the fundraisers.
[11:24] Wizard Atazoth: yea and you never know what the future holds and what problems can come up out of no where.
[11:25] albertlr Landar: But is you have any questions please ask.
[11:25] Ricky Fournier: It does seems like the number of servers has declined, tho.
[11:25] albertlr Landar: I don't think that most people expected this pandemic this year, nor the economic impact it has had globally.
[11:25] albertlr Landar: So glad we are stable.
[11:25] Ricky Fournier: Yes, all bets are off with that.
[11:26] albertlr Landar: I saw where they said that google lost money last quarter.
[11:26] albertlr Landar: Google
[11:26] Wizard Atazoth: i was just reading that
[11:26] Wizard Atazoth: lost money on search sales but gained from YouTube subscriptions
[11:26] albertlr Landar: But Amazon if flourishing
[11:26] Ricky Fournier: I watch YouTube a lot, and it looks like they are accepting ads from anyone who will pay them.
[11:26] albertlr Landar: sure does, they are a pain.
[11:27] Arielle Popstar is Online
[11:27] albertlr Landar: These is a guy on YouTube that is a ex Music Professor, and producer and musician.
[11:27] Wizard Atazoth: i image online retailers are with people social distancing.
[11:27] albertlr Landar: He does videos on music all the time, and YouTube always demonetizes everything he does it seems.
[11:27] Ricky Fournier: I have read more than once in more than once place that there would be a worldwide crisis if Walmart were to die. I tend to believe that. But I tend to feel the same about Amazon.
[11:27] albertlr Landar: He just testified before the senate about the problems there.
[11:28] albertlr Landar: Some keep blocking things even if he just uses 10 seconds of some's music.
[11:29] albertlr Landar: He he definitely does fair use, but the big corporations are constantly taking his videos off.
[11:29] albertlr Landar: And Google lets them do it.
[11:29] albertlr Landar: They are misusing the copyright laws.
[11:29] Ricky Fournier: Yes, it looks like the little guy is using the complaint system against someone they don't like more and more often as well.
[11:29] albertlr Landar: hopefully a solution will come out of the mess.
[11:30] albertlr Landar: well they need to breakup the electronic monopolies
[11:30] albertlr Landar: but no one in the congress seems to want to do it.
[11:30] Ricky Fournier: A great many of the musicians seem to agree.
[11:30] albertlr Landar: well the way that music progresses is sharing and evolution.
[11:31] Ricky Fournier: no one in Congress seems to want to do anything at all unless it benefits themselves or their friends in some way.
[11:31] albertlr Landar: not by locking away original creations so that no one can use them.
[11:31] albertlr Landar: I saw a very interesting example of how music evolves.
[11:32] Ricky Fournier: Mick Fleetwood was at the forefront of a number of organisations and movements to advance the use of sampling. I hear nothing from them any more. I tend to think they were "shut down".
[11:34] albertlr Landar: Seems the beautiful music for the movie The Last of the Mohicans as created first by a composer called Dougie Maclean, who composed a piece called The Gael
[11:34] albertlr Landar: That was taken by Trevor Jones, who added a beautiful melody on top of it.
[11:35] albertlr Landar: Then years later Native Americans are taking the same melody and using it in their own musical presentations.
[11:35] albertlr Landar: That is how music evolves, and grows.
[11:36] albertlr Landar: But the whole copyright problem started when corporations got into the laws and changed it to benefit them, not the composers.
[11:36] albertlr Landar: and its now a mess, that hopefully will be addressed eventually.
[11:38] Ricky Fournier: most music is not owned by the composers, musicians, etc but by the music companies.
[11:38] albertlr Landar: yea, and its getting worst.
[11:39] Ricky Fournier: There have been many cases of musicians or creators being sued by the record companies for use of what is essentially their own creations/work.
[11:39] albertlr Landar: would not be surprised.
[11:39] albertlr Landar: I was present on Compuserve when it first started.
[11:40] Ricky Fournier: BMI and ASCAP and etc are the root of the problem.
[11:40] Ricky Fournier: And then what's now known as iHeart got into it and made it even worse.
[11:41] albertlr Landar: Seems someone had put up a midi file of them playing Unchained Melody. And was not collecting any money for it, but the Rights holder company sued Compuserve for each time it was downloaded.
[11:41] Ricky Fournier: It used to be a radio station played a song, and the artists was happy for the play. Now the record and licensing companies scream lawsuit.
[11:41] albertlr Landar: And demanded damages and it be taken down.
[11:41] albertlr Landar: Its since been moved to MP3 and Wav files, and now MP4.
[11:42] albertlr Landar: yea, and it ends up hurting the composer as their music does not get listened to.
[11:43] albertlr Landar: However some composers have resorted to posting their own works on Soundcloud.
[11:43] albertlr Landar: For free, and some do it for a small fee.
[11:43] Ricky Fournier: Used to a local composer or band recorded something and were ecstatic to get aired on local station. Now the big shits at the top don't allow that.
[11:43] albertlr Landar: So the market has progressed some.
[11:44] albertlr Landar: yea, its unfortunate most radio stations are now owned by a single big corporation which control everything.
[11:44] albertlr Landar: There really does need to be some breaking up of these monopolies.
[11:44] albertlr Landar: It ends up hurting the creators and the public.
[11:44] Ricky Fournier: iHeart came close to going under I was hoping.
[11:45] albertlr Landar: I use to be the General Manager of our local public radio station.
[11:45] albertlr Landar: We always played Classical, Jazz and Folk most of the time.
[11:45] Ricky Fournier: We have two local public stations. I know folks from both.
[11:45] albertlr Landar: Our board got tired of fundraisers and decided against everyone else to give it to the State of Georgia.
[11:46] albertlr Landar: Now is talk radio 80 percent of the board cast time.
[11:46] albertlr Landar: You just do not get quality with big group ownership's of the public media.
[11:47] albertlr Landar: its all mass produced and canned.
[11:47] Ricky Fournier: look up a guy named Alan Chartock some time.
[11:47] albertlr Landar: ok
[11:47] albertlr Landar: name sounds familiar.
[11:48] albertlr Landar: 1981 was when I was hired as General Manger for a 5 year stint, till they replaced me because I did no approve of the merger.
[11:51] albertlr Landar: well as it seems rather slow today, shall we disband for this week.
[11:51] albertlr Landar: Thanks for coming, Ricky glad to hear from you
[11:51] albertlr Landar: Hope all is well and safe where you are.
[11:51] Ricky Fournier: You're welcome.
[11:51] Ricky Fournier: Not really, but then it's not anyplace.
[11:52] albertlr Landar: thats true, we seem to make a little progress and then back track.
[11:52] Ricky Fournier: At least I am not in the southern US where it seems the worst.
[11:52] albertlr Landar: I am in GA.
[11:52] Ricky Fournier: Ouch! I'm SO sorry!
[11:52] albertlr Landar: We have one of those very stupid governors, that can not make up his mind.
[11:53] Ricky Fournier: I'm in NY and we have Cuomo, who is a dick. But at least we have others who have a clue or three.
[11:53] albertlr Landar: I think if we had someone from the local dog pound they would make better judgement on how handle things.
[11:54] albertlr Landar: Actually Cuomo came down to talk with our Mayor who is also from NY about setting up testing sites.
[11:54] Ricky Fournier: None of which was really his doing. But it made him look good.
[11:54] albertlr Landar: yea.
[11:54] albertlr Landar: The top always takes the credit of others.
[11:55] albertlr Landar: Unless you have top that the takes order from the President.
[11:55] Ricky Fournier: Look at nursing homes and long term care facilities in NY. THAT is what happens when Cuomo makes it up on his own.
[11:55] albertlr Landar: yea, terrible situations.
[11:56] albertlr Landar: I have a sister in PA in a nursing home. They posted a YouTube video of her and others saying wash your hands.
[11:56] Ricky Fournier: smh
[11:56] albertlr Landar: Have not heard from her since, so hopefully she is safe.
[11:57] Ricky Fournier: Wizard needs to wake up. lol
[11:57] albertlr Landar: I pretty much stay at home and let my Nephew do shopping and get things for the house.
[11:57] albertlr Landar: Just don't stand to close when he does you can get crushed.
[11:58] albertlr Landar: Well I guess I will depart for today and let the dog out, before he complains.
[11:58] Ricky Fournier: for sure
[11:58] albertlr Landar: Take care and stay safe.
[11:58] Ricky Fournier: you too

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 1 post ]