Change font size
It is currently Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:55 am

Forum rules

{L_IMAGE}

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]
 Post subject: Bots/Npc's
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 9:14 pm 

Ive got bots in Sl using c# code and running them right now out of the visual debugger. They can use inventory and follow me and sit on poseballs and such. What I need to know is how to make them connect to OSGird. I am sure its a simple thing just never did it before. If anyone has an idea lemme know ok? Ive got a nice pirate island going and need my bartender and quest givers for my games. Thanks!

Christy.

Post subject: Re: Bots/Npc's
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:07 pm 

HI, i'm new to Opensim as well as Osgrid and SL.

I am interested in somehow possibly using OpenSim in Standalone mode to make Machinima films. As you mention here, with something maybe like your code , would something like this therefore make it generally possible to have "bot" avatars (other avatars beside yourself) appear in a world on an OpenSIm server in standalone mode and to trigger animations for them and such etc & etc. ...so as to help in making Machinima films? Or does something like this kind of feature already exist in the SL viewer, RealXtend or even any others? Any information or tips relating to something like this would be appreciated.

Thank you.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:43 am 
Furious Typer

Not sure if the Scripting section is the best place for bots though technically they are new scripts but more like Opensim implementations. Currently there is only pcampBot which is ran by a C# mini-client in OS which controls the character as a bot. However, a real and good sim bot must be ran without using a grid registered avatar and be able to create local NPS that the player can name and rename the way they want, dress up and attach prims to them from their real in-world avatar, open their inventory, script on and other things.

And no, being able to run and infinity of bots which are virtual and not registered accounts wouldn't be spam, as the avatars should not be able to cross borders (so no owner can use / send their bots in other sims other then their own) and the owner could be able to have as many as they want. These bots could technically even be scripted prims but use an avatar mesh with custom clothing, walking animations when they move, etc. There is already the "zombie bug" which has proven virtual avatars that aren't client logged-in accounts can exist in a sim. The best way they could be treated like prims, and you could select them in the edit menu, move them around (not stretch or anything though as they would be avatar meshes in the end) but mainly specify their inventory in the Contents tab and even put scripts on them just like on ordinary prims.

Here's my idea on how bots would be ran now; Firstly, while the sim is up and running it shall always have the bots on it as bots would be a sim setting just like the specified physics engine, etc. There could be a bots.ini file in the bin folder, where you would make an entry for every bot. Fro there you could specify what the bot's first and last name must be, where it's position on the sim to spawn in must be, if the bot should just stay still there or if it should be allowed to move around, what radius from it's spawning point it should be allowed to roam on if yes, and if the bot should say random sentences every X seconds like pcampbot does. The bot could also say sentences when clicked, and from time to time sit down on the ground or other prims if allowed to roam.

I'm really interested in the idea of NPCs in Opensim so I'd like to hear more ideas, and very much hope someone will try to fully make such a thing soon (and here I mean a OpenSim implementation like I said). PcampBot was mainly made for sim performance and stress testing, not a companion bot for a sim, but one would be very interesting and an idea that should not be forgotten.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:59 pm 

Christy,

You just need to set Client.Settings.LOGIN_SERVER to the correct URI, before you log in.
Client refers to an instance of the SecondLife class.

Hope this helps!

Mana

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]