Change font size
It is currently Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:36 pm

Forum rules

{L_IMAGE}

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]
 Post subject: using a domain name to access my region
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:57 am 

Hi,

Not sure if this is really the right place to ask this question, but I can't think of anywhere better...

I'm running regions on the OS Grid, but due to the limits of my wireless router, I am constantly having to re-set the port forwarding every time the router is reset or Internet disconnects or something.

I read something on the OpenSim page about being able to use a domain name to get around such problems, and I recently got access to a free domain name for a year from an offer for the new .science domain. So I have a domain name, but I have no idea how to use it to set up my server to go through the domain name instead of a direct IP address.

To clarify, it's just a domain name, NOT a server itself... I'm still running my region on my own machine. And I don't know the first thing about how to set up a domain name and how to set up my region to access through the name instead of a direct numerical address.

If anyone out there is familiar with these topics, I'd love some input, perhaps a step by step tutorial for idiots would be best...

and thanks in advance!

Post subject: Re: using a domain name to access my region
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:15 pm 

sounds like maybe it is more of a loopback problem then a port problem as once the ports r set in the firewall of windows and your modem/router settingss they should stay open however the ip of your server may be changing thus disconnecting you ,,,i wrote a couple post on how to resolve this hope it helps as i also have that problem and use a dyndns domain name and loopback ..never have to change ports only the ip addy in the loopback every couple weeks but there is also a tool that will auto change that as well all info can be found on the post good luck:-) ,,, ,,,http://forums.osgrid.org/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3349

ps:basically u find how to install the loopback on the OS u r on then once u have that set up
,,, these should be what u use in the region ini as intenal and external addresses

internal address should be 0.0.0.0 and your domain name goes in external address or domain host

example ::exernal address=sissys.dyndns.com or whatever your host name is

however like i said u will have to change your ip in loopback each time yourprovider changes it or use that other
tool in my second posting that will auto reset it for u

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:37 pm 

Mystic Moonlight {L_WROTE}:
sounds like maybe it is more of a loopback problem then a port problem as once the ports r set in the firewall of windows and your modem/router settingss they should stay open however the ip of your server may be changing thus disconnecting you ,,,i wrote a couple post on how to resolve this hope it helps as i also have that problem and use a dyndns domain name and loopback ..never have to change ports only the ip addy in the loopback every couple weeks but there is also a tool that will auto change that as well all info can be found on the post good luck:-) ,,, ,,,http://forums.osgrid.org/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3349

ps:basically u find how to install the loopback on the OS u r on then once u have that set up
,,, these should be what u use in the region ini as intenal and external addresses

internal address should be 0.0.0.0 and your domain name goes in external address or domain host

example ::exernal address=sissys.dyndns.com or whatever your host name is

however like i said u will have to change your ip in loopback each time yourprovider changes it or use that other
tool in my second posting that will auto reset it for u

Well, I don't need to install loopback, I'm on Linux and it has that by default.

The issue is, that Verizon is crap, and the net keeps getting disconnected, and when it comes back, it usually has a new dynamic IP address for me...so I have to edit the regions.ini, and re set all my iptables as well, not to mention re-adding the port forwarding in the router, which is the worst part because it's not my router and I don't have a password for it... I have to wait o the rooom-mate to fix it when it needs it.

But I've read somewhere that if you have a domain name, you can use that instead of an IP address in your configuration files, and eliminate the need for any of the hassles of loopback and port forwarding, which would save me a ton of problems, all I would ever need do is sign in to my domain name manger an change the outward IP if it changes. Instead of waiting for someone to re-enter the port forwarding, re0edit all my Iptables, and re-edit the regions.ini file...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:59 pm 
Site Admin

You can use the dynamic hostname for you ExternalHostname which will keep you from having to edit your Regions.ini each time your external IP changes. You will have to keep it updated tho everytime your ISP assigns a new IP.

As for your port forwarding needing to be reconfigured each time: this is usually due to your LAN IP changing each time your PC reconnects/boots. You will want to disable DHCP on your pc and assign it a static LAN address.

I have no idea how well all this will work over wifi.. A wired connection will always work better..

dan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:11 pm 

dan banner {L_WROTE}:
You can use the dynamic hostname for you ExternalHostname which will keep you from having to edit your Regions.ini each time your external IP changes. You will have to keep it updated tho everytime your ISP assigns a new IP.

As for your port forwarding needing to be reconfigured each time: this is usually due to your LAN IP changing each time your PC reconnects/boots. You will want to disable DHCP on your pc and assign it a static LAN address.

I have no idea how well all this will work over wifi.. A wired connection will always work better..

dan

Well, there's nothing I can do about the router assigning me a new address, as its dynamic no matter what I do. I could set a static address on my PC, but that would simply mean I could not log on if the router decides to change it. (its a cheap modem/router that came with the service, I've tried to eliminate the router part and use a different router, but the modem/router doesn't like that either)

ah well, I have to suffer with this until I can afford a better ISP and a static address of my own.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:50 am 
Site Admin

You only need a DynDNS Client to get this working. http://dyn.com/apps/updater-linux/

Install Dynclient, and set it up to have your domain adjust your IP adres whenever it changes.
In your local network, i'd just use a static IP, so it will never change. Once done, you won't have to edit anything anymore. The local IP is static so will never change, and the Dynclient will update the public IP every 10 minutes, so if it changes, Dyn will detect it, and forward all traffic to the new address automatically.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]