Forum rules

{L_IMAGE}

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 3   [ 22 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: osNpc* It's HERE!
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:35 am 
Furious Typer

Greeting all! Long time no type :)

Well guess what? It's finally here and a whole lot more... the devs over at opensimulator have implemented a complete structure of commands that work very well. I'm blown away.

Link here: http://opensimulator.org/wiki/OSSLNPC

I'm sure plenty of people on this forum and in this community are aware of this already, but it was all just tidied up and provided yesterday so I wanted to be sure to post and grin a bit :D

EDIT: I should note for the new or novice user that this is the latest greatest build directly from opensimulator.org.

Take care all,
- Hap

P.S. Thanks to everyone who spent many hours, days, weeks, and even months working with me on alternate solutions to other types of NPCs prior to this release and sincere congratulations on your working projects!

Post subject: Re: osNpc* It's HERE!
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:27 am 
OSG Elite

This is great news, especially for those creating games and scenarios requiring the use of NPCs.
My question (or rather my concern) is, are these npcs simply scriptable avatars, or are they stripped down, light weight, avatar looking objects?
What I mean is, do they load up a sim just like any other avatar? in which case we are limited to a couple of dozen and suffer lag like molasses while using them?
Or are they specially engineered objects which look like avatars, where we can use dozens in a sim without any serious lag?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:26 am 
Furious Typer

NPCs are definitely a copmlete avatar as far as the simulator is concerned, but the overhead is a bit less condering the following: No inventory (well there is one notecard), no constant com with a GUI interface, it isn't trying to update its surroundings or distant objects all the time, and so forth.

However, I do think that 50 NPCs in a sim would total up to more than say 50 dance balls. :)

I will be doing some testing today on that theory, but may have to enlist someone who has a heavy build to let me use a .oar file so I can use a real 'already bogged down' sim wil lots of prims and stuff going on - along with the NPCs

Take care,
- Hap

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:50 am 
OSG Elite

Sounds promising, I look forward to testing them :)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:27 am 
Furious Typer

Ok so - NPCs are definately viable. Color me impressed - I worked up a small script to randomly spawn 200 NPCs. I have a basic dance animation (Yes... I giggled) setup for them, and am working on picking a random mover right now that will keep them confined to an area, but let them all start roaming and random.

Interestingly enough I did not notice any lag difference until about 80 of them. At 200 there is noticeable but negligable lag. Probably more due to the fact I am using one prim and lists to control all 200 at once.

Granted - this is an empty sim with only one real avatar in it - me.

Regardless, the speed of spawn and removal, animation and such just using simple key lists is pretty darn promising to say the least. I don't think 'enemy mobs' or tour guides or quest givers and townships are going to be any problem at all.

Now to see if I can get a good sensor / flash mob script cobbled together for them to carry around for extra server load. HA!

c-me!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:59 pm 
Furious Typer

For some reason I'm picturing a npc zombie apocalypse now....lol very cool though!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:14 pm 
OSG Elite

Neb did some testing:
http://t.co/mIQuvLA

Odd

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:17 pm 
Furious Typer

Hi

Thx Odd... the video does help me imagin what NPC is...

But for those who never followed the dev of NPC, could someone please explain? From what i understand from the vid, NPC controls the avatar or bot. Does one need a Bot or does NPC include the bot?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:20 pm 
Furious Typer

Wow... does Neb sleep? :D

Well my vid isn't quite as spiffy with a bunch of dancing Aliens! :oops:

I do have some examples of 200 NPCs showing various aspects of the new structure. Hope you enjoy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggpKj8obm6g

- Hap

Last edited by Haplo Voss on Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:26 pm 
Furious Typer

Michelle Argus {L_WROTE}:
Hi

Thx Odd... the video does help me imagin what NPC is...

But for those who never followed the dev of NPC, could someone please explain? From what i understand from the vid, NPC controls the avatar or bot. Does one need a Bot or does NPC include the bot?

EDIT: I believe I see better what you are asking... specifically the NPC is included in opensim via scripting. So using OSSL:
{L_CODE}:
osOwnerSaveAppearance("appearance"); //This creates a notecard with owners attributes for NPC
npc = osNpcCreate("Jane", "Doe", <115, 165, 23>, "appearance"); //This creates NPC using 'appearance' notecard

There are other commands that can let you use another persons av or current NPC appearance to save to the notecard. You can then load those notecards later using:
{L_CODE}:
osNpcLoadAppearance(npc, "appearance");

Even use multiple notecards in the same object. Change your NPC entirely on the fly.

From that point forward the NPC can be controlled via the various NPC commands as well. everything from animation, rotation, movement, speech, despawning it, etc.

For example, in the video I posted - the glowing cube contains the script. It generates all of the NPCs using a loop that randomly chooses coordinates, spawns an NPC, and stores their key into a list. Then I perform the other commands using thier keys from that list.

Hope that helps some.

Take care,
- Hap

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 3   [ 22 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next