Change font size
It is currently Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:12 pm

Forum rules

{L_IMAGE}

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 2 posts ]
 Post subject: Streamserver nature sound instead of sound scripts.
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:11 am 

Streamserver nature sound instead of sound scripts.

As I was struggling, unsuccessfully, to implement a sound script, I rediscovered http://www.freesound.org/searchText.php , a mighty fine project where people share sounds with the world by method of copyleft, including birds singing, crickets, thunder storm, Tibetan nasal chants, rain, more birds, flies, summer feel, ocean, water and a whole mountain of other cuteness.

And then I was thinking, well, why not paste one giant 2 or 3 hours of this stuff together in Audacity, ogg the stream with SoundKonverter to give it supreme quality at low bitrate and set up an Icecast server http://www.icecast.org/faq.php , to be offering the nature sound to the Grid to anyone who wants to open their radio stream, replacing the 80s hitmachine you got there with the SON (sounds of nature) stream I/we am/are going to create.

If you want to offer radio to your visitors, those would be easier to offer at a much wider variety by placing touch-prims beside your landing point, making the main media channel in your world menu free for a nature stream all of us can access. We could even make many different streams, because Furland, the new 3 sim neighbor of Fort Longcat, is likely to be interested in a different sound theme than utopia Phobos.

I could to the arrangement and cutting of the initial stream, conversion, what I can't do is set up an Icecast stream server. It's probably easy, but even _if_ I could figure it out, I don't have streaming capacity.

Apart from not having to fiddle with sound scripts, there is another advantage streaming nature sounds as a media stream. While Opensim allows only a mere 10 seconds of sound in an esoteric, proprietary codec, non of such limitation exists in media streams. Here we can use free codecs like Ogg or even Flac for whose usage nobody will be arrested or charged, and we can arrange concerts of nature sounds as long and varied as we want! Whatever is available at freesound.org , we can combine into beautiful sound themes.

It would be even possible to create spoken streams with the Speex codec, an extremely well compressed open codec for speech, with at 8 kHz it gives excellent quality just with 1 (one) kbps instead of 40 (!) kbps currently used by those two codecs in Skype. Imagine you have an educational sim where you can feed Speex – speech through your edu prims.

A nature sound stream from the main world menu media url can not respond to the position of an avatar, unless of course, it's possible to feed such streams through prims. So there is some knowledge to share, please discuss.

Post subject: Re: Streamserver nature sound instead of sound scripts.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:27 pm 

I think that would be a cool feature to have! I am working on a nature-themed sim called Doobieville and I have made some prims with sound scripts to have the birds singing and other places the frogs singing, with water noises.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 2 posts ]