Change font size
It is currently Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:33 am

Forum rules

{L_IMAGE}

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]
 Post subject: flying to other grids idea.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:50 am 
Furious Typer

i'm not floating this idea because it's practical or even currently possible, but just as a way of looking at something that doesn't seem doable.

as it is, you can't fly out of your simulator because there isn't another sim to enter.
but what if when you fly into one of your sim's walls you actually trigger a TP request but instead of seeing the TP screen you just see yourself flying over water or you enter a sort of built in buffer region, at the same time the TP request remains persistent, searching for any info that can fill the request, once it gets a hit, the TP is filled and you see land pop in the viewer as you arrive to it.
hitting the wall and keeping your cursor depressed on the fly arrow triggers the TP request, holding it down keeps it persistent and releasing it cancels the request.

it wouldn't actually be flying but it would appear so to the viewer and in that way a person can go off exploring hoping to hit a sim at random. if that sim is configured the same way, you can keep on flying through it until you hit another wall and the process repeats.

i guess it's tantamount to turning your sim walls into giant hypergates and creating a artificial flying experience while the hypergate searches for the first active sim it can find.

in a sense we have an almost walk through experience with hypergates already, flying can follow the same suit.

Post subject: Re: flying to other grids idea.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:27 am 
Furious Typer

one potential use for something like i described above, is then people can have things like birds flying through the skies of their grids that just arrive and are on there way to other destinations. like i can just look up one day and see some birds flying across the sky, really on their way to somewhere else as they disappear from view.

people could script and subscribe to things like that. mimic all sorts of things, like migrating birds, to give a natural, alive and evolving sense to their worlds.

i would like it if a trusted person could send a flock of birds that come through a hypergate on one side of my sim, fly across the sky to another hypergate on the other side and disappear into it.

that would be seriously cool.
the possibilities are really fun to think about.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:48 am 
Furious Typer

the more i think about it the more it seems there is no good reason not to have the actual walls of your sim be hypergates. future versions of opensim can have the feature built in. then it's just a matter of hitting a random grid, or have a list of landmarks the birds(NPCs, bots...via subscription) can use. then its build them, script them and send them on their way to who ever welcomes them.

Last edited by Mister BouncyBounce on Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:49 am 
Furious Typer

Hi Mister,

when we back online send me an IM and I send you an realistic flying bird.
inside the script you can setup the range from the bird, for a single region 128 meters.

its cool to see this ara fly :-)

Hans

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:53 am 
Furious Typer

Hans Nerido {L_WROTE}:
Hi Mister,

when we back online send me an IM and I send you an realistic flying bird.
inside the script you can setup the range from the bird, for a single region 128 meters.

its cool to see this ara fly :-)

Hans

hi Hans, thank you:) but it would be even cooler if you could just send the bird flying into my sim and back out again when ever YOU want, so that way for me it feels like i had nothing to do with it, like the birds just showed up by themselves, like in real life.

also, i don't mean just within a grid, i mean from grid to grid, like OS grid to Metropolis.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:34 am 
Furious Typer

Hi,
this script can cross sim borders so far I know,
so if we stay together with our regions it should work, but !!!
you must allow all ppl can rez, build and can run scripts on your sim, I WONT DO THIS !
I wont make griefers happy lool

I have no idea its possible to tell an script it should make an hyper jump
its much diff to fly or to do an hyper jump on an other grid.

Hans

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:51 am 
Furious Typer

Mister,

One way to enable the hypergate now, would be to create invisible prim walls that surround your sim. You can see through them, but when you hit them, a HG teleport would trigger.

So far as I know, HG enabled cross region scripts are not currently possible, as the script needs to exist in all relevant grids/regions that you HG to, and permissions need to be enabled for that to happen on each sim. Birds flying through the hypergates don't seem realistic, giving the current limitations, but you could certainly take Hans suggestion, and create birds that randomly appear within your sim, appearing to "fly through", without them needing to actually go somewhere else.

Why not just create empty regions around your current region?

Just some thoughts.

Shad.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]