Change font size
It is currently Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:50 am

Forum rules

{L_IMAGE}
Please only post about software that directly relates to opensim, thank you.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]
 Post subject: Opensimulator development proposals
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:42 am 

Hello Folks,

The Opensimulator will get competition from the Vircadia project in the future. Out this reason I have some proposals for the development of the opensimulator software.

* Integration of RuthandRoth2 as additional default avatars
* Extended renderer --> integration of PBR (physical based rendering)
* var regions with terrain tiles --> better viewer performance (size of tile for example 256x256)
* an Opensim viewer which works in every version

Best Regards!
Jules

Post subject: Re: Opensimulator development proposals
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:11 pm 

Wow, Vircadia looks pretty impressive. The Vircadia linux viewer is way more stable than Firestorm and it looks like they've got a really active dev community. I visited their discord channel to ask a question and got invited to an in-world dev meeting that was about to happen. About a dozen people were there going through github bug reports and roadmap points. They were also discussing ways to integrate bitcoin and paypal. Takes some getting used to as Vircadia uses primarily voice rather than text communication. But the avatar's mouth and hand movements sync up really well with your voice so it feels pretty natural. Lots of random stuff doesn't seem to work yet though: no universal way of making an avatar sit on something, the regions (which I think they're calling domains) don't seem to be mapped together into a grid, they just exist on their own as little self-contained worlds. But you can teleport between them.

I'm new to OpenSimulator too. It feels like opensim is ahead in some areas but behind in others. OSgrid is definitely way ahead in terms of content. I was able to set up a region here and immediately find lots of free stuff to use (buildings, vehicles, etc). It looks like you'd have to create nearly everything from scratch on Vircadia right now. I'm tempted to try setting up a Vircadia server on my CentOS box along side my opensim region and compare them.

I agree with all your points though, particularly the need for better avatars and a better viewer.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:07 pm 
Site Admin

"Your temporary place name is only active while your domain is being staged. Permanent place names can be purchased on a subscription basis, and are renewed yearly. Learn how to purchase a custom place name for your domain.

lolwut?

https://docs.vircadia.dev/host/configur ... tting.html

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:36 pm 

As I understand the history, the server that provides the equivalent of an OpenSim region and the viewer are open source but a company called HiFi ran some sort of commercial grid-like layer that connected all the regions. They went out of business and Vircadia is now maintaining the viewer and server as well as developing a free, decentralized replacement for the grid services (I think they're calling it a metaverse server). But the docs are still full of references to the old HiFi pay service. One of the items they were talking about in the dev meeting today was pulling out any remaining mentions of HiFi and pay services from the both the docs and the program code. The parts they've got working look pretty cool but they have a lot of work to do interconnecting all the stand alone servers in a way like OpenSim can do now.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:33 am 
Furious Typer

Looks like some sort of continuation of High Fidelity. Is Philip still involved with the project under a new name?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:56 am 

Arielle Popstar {L_WROTE}:
Looks like some sort of continuation of High Fidelity. Is Philip still involved with the project under a new name?

Maybe his new name is Jules :mrgreen: :twisted:

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]