Change font size
It is currently Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:31 am

Forum rules

{L_IMAGE}
Please only post about software that directly relates to opensim, thank you.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]
 Post subject: OpenSim on the home computer
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:42 am 

So, I have a general question about possibly running OpenSim on my Mac Mini: How do people handle network security when they host their own Sims?
Is there any help from Osgrid, or do we have to "know" how to do that before getting started?

Post subject: Re: OpenSim on the home computer
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:33 pm 
Site Admin

Generally, a 1 region simulator uses a single tcp/udp port. (eg. port 9000 tcp/udp) You can forward this port in your router to the port on your opensim machine and it will work fine. the tdlr of this is that exposing a port for opensimulator isnt going to expose any other services that are running on your machine.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:30 pm 

Can you elaborate on this a bit? I'm not very knowledgeable on security issues, so I don't understand how I would not be exposing data on my machine to a possible threat.

I am very new to the OpenSims.

Would it be a very steep learning curve to pick up the rudiments of what is necessary?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:47 am 
Site Admin

Opensimulator is a server. To run a server in your network, requires you to forward traffic from your router to this server, to be able to "serve clients". Also your firewall needs to allow this traffic to reach the server. (Else the router forwards the incoming traffic, but the machine firewall will block it ).

Opening ports is per definition a "potential security issue", as normally these ports are closed, and all traffic is blocked. If a working and properly configured server is behind it, this is not a problem. The server recieves all traffic, and handles it according its configuration.

Opensim is configured with "sane defaults" that not impose severe security risks. You can however, descide to allow running of potentially dangerous scripts. You have to configure that yourself if you need the functionality. It will be a pretty steep learning curve, but thousands of people managed before you, so don't let it scare you off.

If you don't like Tech / IT / configuring servers due to lack of interest, it's generally wiser to find a host.
You pay them to take care of the tech bit, whilst you can focus on doing what you like to do inworld.

If you like to learn, than you will be reading a lot of wiki's, technotes and likely still need help every now and then, as opensim is modulair, and pretty flexible. A lot of choices and options available.

Heres a page that has loads of other links to opensim related info and pages to get started. https://www.symbaloo.com/home/mix/osgrid

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 5:26 pm 

Thanks Foxx Bode, for breaking it down for me.

This gives me something to ruminate on.

My interest in here is growing. Am curious if my Mac Mini, circa 2011, would be sufficient to handle this.
I think I would like to try it . I'll look up some wiki tutorials and see if more knowledge dissuades or persuades me.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]