Change font size
It is currently Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:40 am

Forum rules

{L_IMAGE}
Please only post about software that directly relates to opensim, thank you.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]
 Post subject: How to change the maximum number of prims in a region
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:47 am 

It would be enough to add the file "Regions.ini" line:
MaxPrims = 45000?. The text of Regions.ini.exemple file "suggests that there is no need to directly modify the file" Regions.ini "but who, referring to the file" Regions, ini.exemple ", make :
a Copy this file to "Regions.ini" Appropriately and change the parameters below: ............ .MaxPrims = 15000. It turns out that the above file is generated by OpemSim after it is released and not in the right format to receive a copy of the exemple file and hence would result in error when launching OpenSim.

Last edited by Jardel Greggan on Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: How to change the maximum size of prims in a region
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:15 am 
Furious Typer

The way to change the maximum size of prims in a region is: NonPhysicalPrimMax = whatever size suits your fancy. The default size is 256 meters. Maxprims= refers to the maximum amount of prims in the region.

Post subject: Re: How to change the maximum number of prims in a region
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:58 am 

Look at my doubt is not it, Lucy,
if you repair the file text "Region.ini.exemple" within the bin \ Regions of OpenSim paste it suggests that the default parameters can be changed, but it's kind of confusing the recommended procedure and I've seen out there that there is this possibility, the maximum number of prim then can be changed, which incidentally is my goal and not the size. Perhaps the size term has been poorly recorded by me. wrong, sorry! I've done to change the topic again editing.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:48 am 
Site Admin

The regions.ini.example is a file that can be used as reference, not all parameters in there are mandatory when you install a region.

The prim limit as displayed in the viewer can be changed from 15.000 (default) to for instance 45.000 (or higher) in the region.ini file. You can simply add the line MaxPrims = 45000 below each region listed in regions.ini. This will prevent the viewer from reporting that there are more prims on the parcel than it supports, and some will be returned. (This is a bogus warning message though, as it will not return prims that exist on the region, even if you have surpassed the set default limit).

To the best of my knowledge, Opensim doesn't have any limit at all for prims. (my main "single" non-VAR region is well over 48.000 prims). I believe the 15.000 limit was just made up by lindenlabs once upon a time, to squeeze some more cash out of their users. :twisted: The 45.000 limit is an actual viewer limit. No (32 bit) viewer is able to rez more than 45.000 prims simultaneously, as the viewer-process would simply run out of Memory.
Hence I am not sure if this applies to 64 bit viewers too, I can see all my thousands of prims just fine, but not if this is due to 64 bits, some viewer/cache optimisation / kick-ass devs. (it's not me, or my 4 years old machine, i know that much).

But in any case, you can stuff as much prims on your land as you have HDD space / database space and RAM available to serve them. (Mind that you will need a different database than the included SQL-lite, as it simply won't handle such loads).
Opensim. Where "your world, your freedom" truly applies. 8-)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:30 pm 

Foxx thank you for the answer! I had noticed this, and now you just confirmed my guess.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]