Forum rules

{L_IMAGE}

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 3   [ 21 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Neurotronic NPC System
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:36 am 
Furious Typer

Hey folks,

This release falls under the Creative Commons Non Commercial License.

After months of life-changing events, coding, losing hair, drinking coffee and what not, I've finally got something worth releasing. Please excuse the dirty code, I'm still working on adding features and debugging smaller issues.

I would have posted the code, but after you peek at the .iar, you'll understand why I choose this model of distribution.

These scripts and related notecards give NPCs pathfinding, chat, sensing, animation, sound, simple thinking, scalability, and configurability.

Please download the .iar, view the Readme for instructions, and let me know what you all think. The .iar file contains a working 'brain' attachment, related notecards, and scripts. Let me know if it works for you.

Comments, suggestions, and/or mods are welcome. Just be gentle. :D

Have fun!!!

Shad MOrdre

EDIT: Replaced the broken zip files. 06/01
Also includes Instruction file for assembling the system

:D EDIT: 06/06 :D
As requested, I've included an .iar file, with an assembled brain, controller, and assisting devices. Scripts and some
and some system parts have been modified, so please read the instructions. I've included the scripts and notecards.

EDIT: 06/11
Removed the .zip files
Permissions have been corrected.
New features include ability to chat special commands directly to avatar, and new Action commands.

EDIT: 07/21
Took down the IAR as several ppl have reported bugs, and have had difficulties with getting the system to work. For those who have a copy, feel free to find me inworld. I can offer limited support for now. I will work on getting the bugs fixed and reposting the IAR. Thanks for your patience.

Last edited by Shad MOrdre on Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:21 am, edited 6 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Neurotronic NPC System
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:28 am 

Shad,

I downloaded your brain and neutronic, but neither one will unzip. Says I need last disk in multipack.

Downloaded again today Jun 02 and they unpacked perfectly.

Thanks Shad, cant wait to see what I can learn. I just peeked into the folder. You are a genuis. I will let you know from a complete beginner's standpoint how the implementation goes.

Thanks again.

Shad, I am stumped on step 8. I created 19 location markers and a location creator. I have listed all adjacent markers in the description of each marker. The locationcreator does not seem to be communication with the markers. I even deleted and recreated all per the instructions but to no avail. Any ideas?

All other steps up to step 8 were very smooth and easy to understand. Thank you very much.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:10 am 

Shad,

I reset all scripts and verified naming for all locations. The LocationCreator now sees and talks to all markers. :D I have green lettering with coordinates above each marker with a list of adjacent markers displayed. All commands work, but I am not receiving notecards following the "/13 WRITE" command. :?:

Thanks

P.S. I am using the imprudence veiwer. thanks

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:00 pm 
Furious Typer

Zadock,

When the notecards are created, they are save to the inventory of the LocationCreator prim. They are not given to your inventory, so look in the prim first. If they are not there, try these steps.

1. Select ALL the Markers => Tools/Reset Scripts In Selection
2. Select the Creator => Tools/Reset Scripts In Selection
3. SET
4. WRITE
This is a known issue, and I'll take a look later today to see about a fix.

Due to the limitations of LSL and lists, (lists can only contain up to 100 items), there are a few things to keep in mind about using the scripts.

The number of locations, and the number of 'exits' for each location will determine whether the script works. Keep the number of markers low, like under 25. And although each location can have multiple 'exits', I've found that if you cross reference too many times, or each location has more than 3 'exits', you will quickly hit the LSL list limitation. Multiply the number of locations by the number of exits to get a feel for it.

The NPC Brain can use multiple location and route notecards, so if you are trying to map a large area with lots of markers, break it apart, and map smaller areas. You can ALWAYS combine the Location and Route Notecards to cut down on inventory clutter, just make sure that there are connecting routes between the notecards, whether you combine the cards or leave them separate.

Example: Map any roads you have by adding markers at the intersections and any building entrances. Run the scripts to create the notecards. Then, go back and add markers to any buildings, creating routes for those buildings, making sure to leave the building entrance markers, so the NPC can map from one routecard to the next.

I'll also create some generic Location and Route cards for an empty region, and post them.

Thanks for the feedback Zadock.

Shad MOrdre

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:23 pm 
OSG Elite

Shad MOrdre {L_WROTE}:
Due to the limitations of LSL and lists, (lists can only contain up to 100 items)

As far as I am aware, there is no limitation with lists, as such, in opensim.

{L_QUOTE}:
Note: while the LSL compiler will only accept code with a maximum of 72 items in a list, lists can actually support as many items as a script's memory will allow. If a list of more than 72 predefined items is needed, just concatenate (combine) two predefined lists into a new one: longlist = firstpart + secondpart;
As of 1.20.4, this no longer seems to be true. A list with at least 100 is possible, though I haven't tested to see just how many elements I can initialize a list to. - BlueJeansAndRain
June 5, 2008 - Server 1.22.1.88473 | Client 1.19.1 (4): I was able to create a global list containing 1,081 null integers and a local list containing 2,318 null integers before receiving "(0, 0) : Byte code assembly failed -- out of memory". - CoryFimicoloud

The above is from the LSL wiki. I'm guessing the same applies with opensim and is only limited by the amount of memory available to the script. As there is no limit to how much memory a script uses in opensim, then I guess the limit would be the amount of available physical memory in the server.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:39 pm 
Furious Typer

Shad,

As mentioned elsewhere around these forums, I've started to take a look at your scripts, though haven't had a chance to test them in world yet (and it may be 3 - 4 weeks before I can - new ISP where I'm staying means lousy connection - hoping to move to my own dedicated and faster connection soon).

Once I do if I can see ways around the limitations (or improvements) I'll obviously post back.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:36 pm 

Shad,

Once again thank you for your guidance, I have the Locations and Routes notecards now. I followed the remaining steps and come to another roadblock. I am getting the following error

NeurotronicBrain-CONTROLLER: Runtime error:
(0): Cannot cast from source type to destination type.

I am fairly certain the fault is mine, I will try everything from the beginning to see if it works.

Thanks

Update: I was right, it was my fault, the system now creates the bots in the appropriate locations. I have not been able to get all the commands to work, receiving the same error as above. I will get back to you on which commands do not work. Thank you very much

Update#2: Only the create, remove, killbots, and rot commands are working for me. I receive the same error as above on everything else. Thank

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:04 pm 
Furious Typer

Zadock,

Make sure that you've added the Action, AIML, Location, Racter and Route notecard UUIDs to the DATA notecard, and that you've added the DATA UUID to the CONTROLLER script where you also supplied the config notecard UUID.

Shad

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:10 am 

Shad,

Quick Question. Does the NeurotronicBrain-Controller.lsl script go in the brain. I have the controller script in its own prim per step 5. I noticed your brain.xml has 16 prims, and there are 15 scripts with "brain" in the title, so I put all 15 in the brain. I am still not getting the commands to work. Do I need to edit the actions card for basic commands?

Thanks

I hope I am not being to bothersome as a noob.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:42 pm 

Well, I had a hard drive failure. Lost it all. So, started from scratch and placed the neurotronic system in first. All the commands render positve text but no actual action.
example:
I type: /300 test npc goto Marker04
I get:NeurotronicBrain-CONTROLLER: f857c4df-3a17-4ad7-bff8-04af446eafae,6a86290d-a8c9-4316-a8a0-61f66ca6f08c|GOTO|marker04

but the NPC stays firmly rooted at Marker01.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

Update: NPC sit and stand but still do not walk, I will get this working eventually

Thanks

Last edited by Zadock Machlothan on Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 3   [ 21 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next