Change font size
It is currently Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:32 pm

Forum rules

{L_IMAGE}
Please only post about software that directly relates to opensim, thank you.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]
 Post subject: Restarted Opensim and lost sim inforrmation
PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:48 am 

Hello everyone,

I had a computer crash recently and had to restart opensim. On my first attempt, my original coordinates were not longer available so I changed the coordinates. That didn't do it because I was unaware at the time that I needed to keep my original region UUID to avoid a region ovelap. Opensim was always assignign a new UUID for me and after attempting to create the region was returning an overlap error before closing.

So I went in my osgrid profile where could find what was the original UUID registered at OSgrid for my region and have set my Regions.ini file accordingly. That solved the overlap problem but by then my ip have changed and altough I have properly configured the ini file I forgot to made the change in the router's port forwarding settings. The result was that the sim was created but the server not responsive.

All that is done now and the sim is up and running again. The Good news is that I have gained extensive experience by solving this. The bad news is that All what was there in my previous sim is gone (houses furniture landshaping) and I am back as Adam and Eve at the begining of times on that little empty hill.

Now I read on this forum somewhere that sim info (buildings, land shape prims etc was stored on the server and could not be lost if I had to change coordinates.

Did one of the problem encountered was a trigger for Opensim to erase the region information and reinitiate everything? is there anyways I could get this information back? If the answer is no and I have to start all over again, How can I prevent this to happen once more? How can I backup my sim info in order to restate it if needed?

Thank you for your patience. I know this was a long story but it was important to explain in detail the order of events. Also please note that english is not my native language this post might soung akward at times.

thanks in advance for your kind replys

Els

Post subject: Re: Restarted Opensim and lost sim inforrmation
PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:16 am 
OSG Elite

Are you using MySQL or SQLite? I'm guessing SQLite so all your buildings etc. are in files that end with .db in the bin directory. If you still have the original opensim installation, look for the .db files in the bin directory and copy them to the new installation and restart. If you don't have them and no backup, sorry but I think your out of luck.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:30 am 

hello Jeeper,

Thanks for your assistance. To be honest I am not sure what exactly I am running sice I didn't installed any of mysql nor skllite on my machine.

The opensim server runs on win xp. When I go in the bin directory, I can see the following files: OpenSim.Data.MSSQL, OpenSim.Data.MySQL, OpenSim.Data.Null and OpenSim.Data.SQLite.

Frankly I am not sure wich one is really active.

Another important precision, is that I never had to reinstall the server. I just had to find a way to run it again and initiate the region.

Hope that helps

Elsie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:41 am 

Also the only .db file in the bin directory is OpenSim.db

In any case, logic telle me that if my avatar is now standing on that little empty hill, It must be because everything that was previously there is now ereased and gone form the database and that I have to start over.

I am now more interested in finding a way to make sure that this is not going to happen again. I had a considerable amount of work done on that sim.

For obvious reasons now I don't trust the servers reliability in keeping the sim information intact from time to time when a computer srash occurs and I need a way to bakup the work I do.

Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:59 am 
Furious Typer

drop the opensim.db file into your new installation and restart the sim. All your builds will magically reappear. :)

The Osgrid servers do not store your region builds. The opensim.db file does. To be safe, backup regularly with oar saves http://opensimulator.org/wiki/OpenSim_Archives

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:22 am 

Hello Arielle,

thank you for your post. As I explained in the previous post. "There was no second or new install". This is opensim original install and the opensim.db file is already in the bin directory. Everyrime I restart the simulator now, I get an empty region. My conclusion is that the bd file was rewritten somewhere in the process with startup data.

Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:40 am 
Furious Typer

I suppose it was overwritten after the initial uuid change. A last ditch attempt might be to try a Windows system restore to a point where the region was still ok.
Check the size of the opensim.db file too. A fresh one should be less the a mb in size. One with content would be bigger,

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]