Change font size
It is currently Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:01 pm

Forum rules

General Discussion of viewers, this section is not intended for technical support of viewer bugs, but more a general area for Viewer discussion and announcements for all users and third party viewer teams.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]
 Post subject: A couple of question about viewer knowledge
PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:36 am 

Hi everyone, I am an new user of Opensim, hope someone may help me with following questions, thx

1. May I export the virtual world with a file format by viewer which can also access in other game engine? And also export the object in opens with a file format which can also access in other game engine?

2. I am using a tutorial account in Kokua viewer which name simon the stick in standalone mode for testing.
(Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvvYyIgU1bI)
Does standalone means the change in this PC would just change the data in that local computer but not the data in server? If I would change the data in server. Is it safe if I put this material on other’s server/account?

3. If I use the 3d hosting service,they have server set up and we can use their server, and we don't need to install? And what is the use of 3D hosting?

4. As I know, grid in Opensim( in viewer panel) means sever, is it true?

THX!

Post subject: Re: A couple of question about viewer knowledge
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:06 am 
Site Admin

1. If your may, i cant answer. This depends on who made the stuff you try to export and if they allow you to. It is possible to do though.

2. A standalone stores it's data locally, instead of putting it on the asset server of a grid you connect to. Storing your assets in a grid is per definition not safe, as you have no control over the grids servers.

3. Hosting is nice when you have no knowlegde to host your own regions, or if you dont have the bandwith / computing power for it. Typically, hosts also take care of the install, backups, upgrades, maintenance etc. This might vary per hosting provider though, so inform in advance what they offer for your money.

4. A Grid is a collection of servers sharing the same centralised backend infrastructure. In your viewer you can configure to what grid you'd like to connect to.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:00 am 

thx so much. So should I delete the mesh model in the standalone server, right?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:33 am 
Site Admin

In your standalone, nobody can touch your assets / prims / meshes / designs unless you grant access.
So there is no need to delete a mesh from your standalone server. It's safe there. You migth want to export a OAR or IAR copy of it for backup purposes, so you can import it into another grid if you need it.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]