Change font size
It is currently Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:20 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ]
 Post subject: My opensim days have finally ended,
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:51 pm 
Furious Typer

Due to my server taking a nose dive, I can no longer "play" in opensim, I don't have the money or the resources any more to get a new one, when the server PSU burnt out (how it burnt out I'll never know, because the fan worked perfectly, and was clean out at least twice a week), it also burnt out the CPU, Memory, HD's and MB (at a close inspection I found 4 capacitors close to the CPU that had popped their lids), with a huge surge that sounded like a giant bug zapper going off close to yer ears, I found out how it got burnt by 1st replacing the PSU, nothing worked, but the PSU fan, and the power LED on the PC case was on, nothing else worked, the HD's didn't even spin up, I tested the new PSU on another MB, it worked, so I swapped out the memory, and it bleeped an error to say the memory was faulty, then I replaced the memory with the original (this is all being done on the working MB), and it worked, I then replaced the CPU, and nothing worked, I put the original CPU back, and it worked, I swapped out the master HD and it didn't spin up, which by now is safe to say the server MB, Memory, HD's and CPU are burnt out.

Sooo, that's the end of my opensim, as I said earlier, I don't have the resources or the money any more to get even a second user server.

It was fun while it lasted, and with everything I built up, and destroyed, even the backups were stored on a second HD also burnt out.

Post subject: Re: My opensim days have finally ended,
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:04 am 
Site Admin

Sorry to hear about that Marlon.

dan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 12:58 pm 
Furious Typer

I managed to 'borrow' a PC from a friend, but on the condition I don't destroy his windows setup,,,,,so, his PC has a 2TB HD, he has plenty of space, so I dual booted, but so that I can return the MBR when he asks for it back, I had to use WUBI, and a bash script to increase the WUBI install file (root.disk) to 120GB and swap file (swap.disk) to 2GB, after installing Kubuntu, then I installed mysql, and mono complete, so now I temporarily have an opensim server, but, I remembered when my server used to be running, I set a cronjob to backup all opensim folders and to export all opensim related mysql database files to a combination of Google drive, dropbox and MS one drive, so now I have all the opensim folders recovered, along with the mysql database files too, but it's a pity there's no script that's part of opensim to auto generate oar files ready for a cronjob to backup them up.

This solution though is very temporary, how long? I have no idea, and being that the PC is a friends system, I can't leave it powered on on 24/7, and thus run the risk of someone taking my sim spaces.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:20 pm 
Furious Typer

Marlon Sorry to hear about your predicament :( Have you considered moving to a cloud server? I am running my OSGrid region on a very bare-bones Ubuntu 14.04 server on the Digital Ocean cloud which costs me 1.5 cents a minute including backups. This works out to around $10 a month. Of course replacing your installation would cost quite a bit more, but you would never have to worry about hardware failure again.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:06 pm 
Furious Typer

Jozee Tungsten {L_WROTE}:
Marlon Sorry to hear about your predicament :( Have you considered moving to a cloud server? I am running my OSGrid region on a very bare-bones Ubuntu 14.04 server on the Digital Ocean cloud which costs me 1.5 cents a minute including backups. This works out to around $10 a month. Of course replacing your installation would cost quite a bit more, but you would never have to worry about hardware failure again.

Would that 'Bare Bones' system run the regions I had running on my now burnt out server?

1x2560m2 var region
1x1024m2 var region
14xsingle regions

That's why I built and ran my own server for many years, it had 2xquad core x64 CPU's, 32GB RAM, 1 single, 40GB SATA HD for OpenSuSe, and 6 2TB HD's in raid Z configuration for database and sim instances, all ran off a 1KW PSU and running in a climate controlled room, the system was cleaned at least twice a week, and the PSU still burnt out.

If I were to pay for a cloud service with those specs it would have probably been about $200 a month.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:03 pm 
Furious Typer

Well you get what you pay for. What I got is just enough to support a really big var (8x8) which has a few thousand prims most of which are trees, boats and a few mesh structures. The beauty of using the cloud for you is you already know what level of hardware you need for your stuff so you can put a cost per minute on it. The other good part is that you can start with a basic server to get a feel for the environment and the cost and very easily expand to something more suitable. You get complete control over the hardware for a fraction of what you would pay to rent hosted regions. I shopped around Amazon, Google, and IBM and finally settled on a small outfit called Digital Ocean. The big players are hugely expensive, and more directed to big, commercial web or application hosting.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:36 am 
Furious Typer

Well, I used to have a dedicated server from these people:- https://corenetworks.net/dedicated/ I had a medium to high end system, I can't remember how much is was but I had 50 single 256m2 regions running, bare in mind this was all well before var region and mega regions was even thought about, I was in partnership with someone on OSGrid, but has since left, probably due to lack of interest, but he had 6 groups of 4 regions running and so did I, he paid half and I paid half, but then all of a sudden he stopped paying and so I had to cancel the server. Sooo, yeah, I do know what yer saying about using a dedicated system, oh, and I even tried it using Amazon's EC2 cloud, but that was a pay per visit deal, where the region is shut down until someone actually TP's to it, then if the region creator so desires, the visitor would pay by the minute, I didn't like that one, so I then decided to (according to experience in running opensim region on various setups, including an old P1 system with 512MB ram, then with a P4 with 1GB ram), build and run my own server, but I used high end parts so that I can successfully run more regions and vars now, where as I couldn't with older systems, logic dicatated, the more cores and the more ram, the more regions can be run but leaving room for avatar's on the sim, etc etc.

Personally, I would much prefer to run my own server at home.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:23 pm 
Furious Typer

{L_QUOTE}:
Personally, I would much prefer to run my own server at home

I think everybody does, but I have a very slow ADSL line (10 up .8 down) and this is twice as fast as it used to be. And I pay a lot for power. I was running on an old dual-core pc and I can see a difference on my power bill just from unplugging that. A gigabyte line from a cloud server makes a huge difference in Opensim.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:58 pm 
Furious Typer

I rent a VPS for £11 (around $15 - $16) per month, which runs my server, and my own email server as well as a http server if I can ever be bothered getting it going again. It does also run an icecast server for when I feel like streaming to my sim myself. I use Debian on it, with no problems. It may be worth considering for a relatively small monthly outlay, up 24/7, backups are automatic, and I could shut my home electricity off and the sim would still be there.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 3:38 pm 
Furious Typer

Roken Price {L_WROTE}:
I rent a VPS for £11 (around $15 - $16) per month, which runs my server, and my own email server as well as a http server if I can ever be bothered getting it going again. It does also run an icecast server for when I feel like streaming to my sim myself. I use Debian on it, with no problems. It may be worth considering for a relatively small monthly outlay, up 24/7, backups are automatic, and I could shut my home electricity off and the sim would still be there.

Hmmmm, as I mentioned in my op, I don't have the money or the resources any more to even think about a VPS or a dedicated system, when I did have the server running, and being it was in a climate controlled room, it also ran with a UPS running a bank of 9x12V car batteries and a converter (when power is cut, solar panels would keep the batteries charged and would also power the 12V-110V converter), the batteries could keep the server, router, switch, and cable modem running for 4 days straight, before shutting down.

Everything is still setup, ready for a server, but the UPS, solar panels and batteries have been turned off, as they are no longer needed. There's a guy here in town that's interested in buying all that stuff, minus the router and modem, being that I can't get a server, I might just sell him the lot, and use the money to get a new car, it'll be pointless using the money to get another server if I don't have the equipment any more to keep it running and protected.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ]